Thread: Housing Gray Tree Frogs

FroggyWV

Default Housing Gray Tree Frogs

Currently we have 5 juvenile Gray Tree Frogs. Now that we've identified them, I'd like to start setting up a permanent vivarium for them. I was thinking of standing a 55 gal tank up on its end and making that into a vert tank for all 5 of them. Do you think they would all be comfortable in there together, or do I need to house them as pairs? I do have another 55 I could use. My husband used to have a lot of snakes, so we've got about 4 spare 55 gal tanks, a 75 gal reptile tank and 2 or 3 20 gal high tanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jace

Default Re: Housing Gray Tree Frogs

I think you could do wonders with a 55 gallon vertical for these guys. I don't have the fortune of owning one, but I am pretty much drooling over what you could do with that size of tank and all the fun your frogs are going to have in there! I hope you will post pictures of it in progress. Have fun!

charlamanda

Quote Originally Posted by FroggyWV View Post
    Currently we have 5 juvenile Gray Tree Frogs. Now that we've identified them, I'd like to start setting up a permanent vivarium for them. I was thinking of standing a 55 gal tank up on its end and making that into a vert tank for all 5 of them. Do you think they would all be comfortable in there together, or do I need to house them as pairs? I do have another 55 I could use. My husband used to have a lot of snakes, so we've got about 4 spare 55 gal tanks, a 75 gal reptile tank and 2 or 3 20 gal high tanks.
    Hi and Welcome,
    I am a new owner of 13 Gray Tree frogs, who are no more than an inch. The adults were kind enough to deposit thousands of eggs in my closed pool and I couldn't resist bringing some in.
    I was told that 5 in a 33 gal was ok so 5 in a 55 gal should be fine and you may not have to turn it on end either, but I guess you could if you want to.
    I have 10 in my 33gal for now, but have a 35 or 40 gal for when they get bigger.
    3 are going into a 10 gal today, but they are really small, about 1/2 inch still, so for now thats should be ok.
    Grays are fine if they aren't in pairs, like other frogs...I beleive, so you don't need to worry about trying to sex them now. Unless you cycle them, cold(hibernation) for several months, then a warm up (spring) phase they will not mate or call, but they may call or chirp every once and a while..not often if ever if you keep their temperature/humidity constant.
    They like to perch high up so make sureyou have lots of plants and stuff to climb on, like branches, etc. Make sure your tank is escape proof, not even 1/4 inch area, or they will get out...trust me on this!!!
    There is a care article on the left for Gray Tree frogs and it describes how to set up your tank and what they require(temp/humidity/water/food) basically everything you'll need to know.
    If you have anymore questions I'll try to help where I can, or someone else will I am sure.
    Best of luck with your new Gray's, I just love mine. They are a lot of fun to watch.

HerpNwny14

A 55 vertical or a 55reg would b fantastic for 5 grays,you could easily do about 9-10 grays as long as you have plenty of greenery and hiding spots for them,grays are aboreal so things like bendy vines,cork tubes etc anything they can climb on thats high will help,they typically love to hide during the day and are pretty hardy when it comes to temps
    They are also very hardy with humidity but you dont want a high humidity tank,usually misting once in the morning and once at night and supply a water dish for soaking,but if you did the 55 non vertical you could do a 3/4 land and the rest water,during march/april is when grays breed so if you wanted to breed them a setup w a partial water would benefit the chance of them breeding......any questions pm me i breed grays and am currently setting up some new tanks for them,good luck!

Thread Information