Thread: Hello! New frog owner in need of help :S

suzic1163

Default Hello! New frog owner in need of help :S

Hello all!

I am not a newbie to the animal world, but I am a newbie to the frog world and am enjoying my two new friends

I have successfully been keeping two turtles since the start of the year who are doing tremendously, but am not seeming to have such great success with my frogs.

Over a month ago I bougth two white lipped green tree frogs who are just about two inches in body length. When the guy that I bought them off took them out of their enclosure when I picked them up, nicked one of the frogs hind knee. He went brown for nearly three weeks althought the cut healed after a week and a half.
    Although I have had them for over a month, the frog that was cut is still a struggle to get green, he is only about two days a week and the other one has started turning brown on occasion too.

I am unsure as to what I am doing wrong to keep them unhappy/stressed. I feed them each night, they have plenty of places to hide, uv lighting, heated water (dechlorinated) which keeps the air at 21 degrees celcius over night and cold days but up to 42 degrees celcius now that the weather is getting warmer and spray them usually every second day.

Can you please suggest what I can improve to keep them happy all of the time?

You help is much appreciated (thank you in advance)

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hello! New frog owner in need of help :S

There are a few posts about tree frogs turning brown because they feel stressed/unhappy. I'd search for those if I were you (use the search button at the top right of each page). The frog should settle down - it's always a good sign if they are eating well for you. Provide plenty of cover in the tank (vines, branches, plants, etc) - that will help reassure the frogs.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Jace

I have two Green Treefrogs, who, when I first got them, were a lovely shade of mud brown. In the last three weeks, my female has lightened up nicely, but my males is still dark. He is active, eating and calling most nights, so to me, it seems I am meeting all of his requirements, but he still won't, literally, lighten up!! I think in both our situations, it could be something incredibly minor, but it doesn't mean we aren't taking excellent care of our frogs. I am going to try adding more coverage and a background to see if that helps. Let me know what you try and how it goes and maybe we can figure this out together!

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi there and welcome. I agree, definatly supply plenty of places to hide, they will feel more secure. How are they eating? As John said if they are eating well its a good sign that they are happy. Good luck

suzic1163

Thank you for your help

They both eating well, especially the pne that stays brown most of the time, he is a pig! On to it as soon as the crickets are in the tank.

I'll go invest in some more coverage, especially along the back as I hadn't thought to completely cover the back. I will let you know how I go

Thread Information