Thread: Will vinegar harm my Hyla Versicolor?

Greenlove

Default Will vinegar harm my Hyla Versicolor?

Made some fruit fly cultures and it actually worked!! I used the frog forum media (John Clare recipe)----Thanks John ---- posted on this site, but used 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water instead of the methyl paraben (tegosept). I'm trying to keep it as natural as possible, and I'm pretty sure they don't eat tegosept in the wild. I just wonder what the long term affects are, if any, would be. This is my first attempt at culturing fruit flies. When I opened the jar it smelled VERY strong. Should I use less vinegar? I just wonder if the frogs can actually taste the vinegar. Has anyone used a recipe like this for any amount of time and had any ill affects? What about not using any vinegar, has anyone had any success that way? If your reading this post, just jot something down...any info helps....even if you don't think it's important.....I notice a lot of people read posts but don't ever say anything....So, come on, help me out...I promise I will pass the info on to the next newbie who needs this advice!!! You guys are awesome...Thank you

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Greenlove

Default Re: Will vinegar harm my Hyla Versicolor?

Oh, by the way....If you are reading this John Clare, you have a great recipe....There is not an inch of my jar that doesn't have larva on it!!!

Kurt

If you have lots of maggots, then I would say things are fine.

Greenlove

Well I have been feeding these fruit flies for about a week now. My frogs are devouring them!! So I guess there is really not a problem using the vinegar in a culture. Either the frogs can't taste it or they can and don't mind it. It's a little overpowering at first, when you open the jar for the first few feedings but after a few days the smell goes away. I researched vinegar a little more and since it's basically a natural ingredient I think it will be ok to use in the long run as a mold inhibitor. Did I mention I'm swimming in fruit flies!? Holy cow, it was amazing how many I have. So, if you are a beginner in making fruit fly cultures, my advice is to try vinegar first before buying any other kind of mold inhibitor. It's cheap and you can get it at the grocery store. I just made some more cultures, and I'm trying less vinegar and more water. I'll see how it goes. I've read some recipes that don't have any kind of mold inhibitor. Makes me wonder if mold occurs that often.

Thread Information