Thread: Help~ White Dumpy Tree Frog Care

Akuma

Default Help~ White Dumpy Tree Frog Care

Hey'a there everyone! I am rather very new to the hobby of keeping tree frogs spefically White Dumpy Tree Frogs so I thought I would shoot some question's on here so I could get some answers back to take care of them. I've done some moderate research into the matter, It's a lengthly list of questions but I would appericate any feed back at all!

#1. I was at petsmart, and they had a WTF but it was blueish / brown is it healthy? and will it eventually turn green, the people who worked there told me that it wont ever change colors but research I've read seems to say otherwise...

#2. I am getting a 25 gallon, 18x18x24 Terriaum can I fit two adults healthfully in a tank like that? they will have plenty of thing's to climb on.

#3. I've heard that moss is a great way to ensure humidity in a tank, however how do I go about growing it on the substrate? Is it as simple as just putting it on the substrate and misting water over it?

#4. How often do I need to feed a baby WTF? and how often do I need to powder their food with calcium in their infancy.

#5. As adults, how often do I need to feed them and how often do I need to powder their food with calcium as well.

#6. What type of lightbulb should I get? I cannot get a heating bulb so instead I am getting a undertank heater, they told me that the Exo Terra Habitat Kits Terriaum's will not handle heat bulbs so thats what I got in its place however.. I still need a light at the top and I dont want to burn the frogs.

#7. As long as the two frogs are the same size will they accept eachother? or have WTF's been known to fight, they seem like relatively peaceful frogs.

#8. I am trying to be cost effective, so I am going to get branchs out of the nearby woods for them to climb on how should I go about cleaning them so I rid the branches of any parasite's or bacteria.

#9. How heavily do I have to mist the WTF's so they stay happy and moist?

#10. Lastly, without using tap water since I know that can be very harmful how should I go about cleaning their tank? I was thinking using paper towls with spring water.

I just want to make sure, that I optimze the care for them when I get them!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: Help~ White Dumpy Tree Frog Care

First welcome let me be the first to say "Welcome to the Forum". Its good to have you here. There are many people here on this forum that own White'e so you have a lot of company as they are very good "first" tree frogs. I'll try to answer some of your questions but please make sure you check out the car article to the left it really does cover it all.
    1. I personally don't like to buy frogs from Petsmart or any of the chain pet stores because it seems all too often they were improperly cared for or come with diseases. Then the new owner spends their first few weeks with their new frog trying to get it better. That's not the best way to start out in the frog hobby. There are many quality breeders in your neck of the woods where you could get a healthy captive bred animal and it would be a lot less of a headache. They change colors based on temps, humidity, stress, day, night, color of their surroundings, etc. See the threads on color changes. Although there are ones that do lean toward the blue phase.
    2. That size tank would be fine for two.
    3. I've never had a growing moss so I really don't know. Sorry.
    4. With babies I would feed as often as they want and as much as they want. Use a cricket dish so you don't have loose or missed crickets running around the cage. Dust feeders daily.
    5. With adults you have to worry about them becoming obese. Main diet should be crickets dusted each time. They are hardy eaters and will overeat if you let them. Some people feed their frogs once a week others feed them 2-3 times a week. I personally just keep a visual eye on my frog's plumpness and if they are looking too chubby I cut it back. They should never be so fat it starts to hinder their mobility.
    6.Frogs are nocturnal so the lighting requirements will pertain more to what kind of plants you will want to maintain.
    7.Whites do great in pairs.
    8.You will need to bake any wood brought in from the outside to kill anything. Bake it at 300 degrees for an hour.
    9.Make sure you get yourself an accurate temp and humidity gauge. I prefer the digital ones they seem to be more accurate than the dial ones. Depending on the humidity level in your home you'll probably only need to mist once or twice a day. Check the guages and adjust accordingly.
    10.You can use tap water just pour in some water conditioner that you can get in the fish or reptile section to remove chlorine or any other chemicals that can hurt them.
    Good luck and post some pictures of your setup when you get a chance.

Akuma

I really do appericate the time you took to inform me Cheri... that's all very useful thank you so much! I'll be sure to ask you in the future if I have any question's about whites. I thought this would be a great place to start if I had any question's about them. I'll be sure to take alot of picture's once I have the setup infact probably some video's once I feel as though I am confident in the needs and set up for the species, so I can better help people in the future who were just as curious as me! hmmm.. as far as getting my whites from a quality breeder I cant seem to find one, would you perhaps know a quality breeder I could buy from online? and I had a feeling.. that the animals there are probably not in the best of spirits as well as the employees dont know what they are talking about half the time as well.

Also, I'll be having fake plants in the tank.. I've never taken care of plants before? so incase that doesnt go well I wouldent want that to comrpomise my frogs so I figured fake plants would be the best route (with the extent of some small dead branches). Again, thank you so much for taking your time to answer my qustion's I'll be sure to get some picture's up for you when it's all up and running!

charlamanda

Welcome, and I agree with Cheri, I wouldn't buy any frogs from chain stores. I've only been on this site for several weeks...maybe months I've lost tract, anyhow several people already ,in that time, have gotten frogs that were very sick, some dead or dying, and the pet store refuses to help in any way! In most chain stores the staff is mostly inexperienced and they don't take the appropiate time and effort to train them, especially in exotic pets, and therefore are unable to care for them properly or even notice when and if they are sick. They rarely have there "stock" checked by a vet when they get them from their breeders or before they are sold. Ask them what their policy is too if the frog is sick or dies and or if they cover your vet bills if the frog is ill, and get it in writting, I don't want to see another person to get screwed!! Hopefully you'll find a better alternative to a chain store. Check online or the phone book for local specialty stores, independantly run, that carry only or mostly reptiles. Then go and ask lots of questions, if they seem knowledgable you may have a better chance of a healthier frog. or There are several breeders online that many on this site have used, I think his name is Mike .....(I'd have to check on that and get back to you) and his web site if someone doesn't post it first. or Go online and check for reptile shows in the area, I am sure others on this site can help you better than I, I got my Gray Tree froglets after the adults decided my pool was a good egg depository!!!! Best of luck, they are really cute frogs, I think they look like they are wearing plastic fat suits..and I love me some chubby frogs!!!!

charlamanda

[QUOTE=bshmerlie;36074]
    4. With babies I would feed as often as they want and as much as they want. Use a cricket dish so you don't have loose or missed crickets running around the cage. Dust feeders daily.
    5. With adults you have to worry about them becoming obese. Main diet should be crickets dusted each time. They are hardy eaters and will overeat if you let them. Some people feed their frogs once a week others feed them 2-3 times a week. I personally just keep a visual eye on my frog's plumpness and if they are looking too chubby I cut it back. They should never be so fat it starts to hinder their mobility.
    6.Frogs are nocturnal so the lighting requirements will pertain more to what kind of plants you will want to maintain.
    7.Whites do great in pairs.
    8.You will need to bake any wood brought in from the outside to kill anything. Bake it at 300 degrees for an hour.
    9.Make sure you get yourself an accurate temp and humidity gauge. I prefer the digital ones they seem to be more accurate than the dial ones. Depending on the humidity level in your home you'll probably only need to mist once or twice a day. Check the guages and adjust accordingly.
    Thanks for the great info Cheri

Akuma

thank you, and yeah I agree, I would rather not buy it off petsmart, or any other chain stores. If you could find a breeder? that would be awesome, I cannot find any that sell white dumpys that are reliable. I live in PA as well so if you know of any place's I would greatly appericate it!

bshmerlie

I know that Josh's Frogs just listed "White's Tree Frog Austrailian Blue" just a couple of days ago and they are captive bred. Josh is a sponsor here on the forum and besides that he also has a great reputation with most of the more senior members here. His White's were listed at $24.99 each plus shipping. He will package well, you'll get them the next day and best of all you'll have healthy frogs. Also Captive Bred is by far the best way to go. They handle the settling in process so much better than wild caught and even if you buy from a "local" reptile shop you don't know for sure that they are captive bred. You can't go wrong with Josh's Frogs. You will ultimately pay more for the frog with the shipping included but bottom line is getting a healthy frog. I have always bought captive bred from a breeder that I trust and I have never once received a sick frog. Josh can be reached at 800-691-8178. Sorry to sound like a sales AD but anyone who's been on this forum long enough knows that starting off with a healthy frog is the most important thing as they will most likely be more active and eating from the start.

Akuma

Hey'a there Cheri, I do agree that it's much better to invest in a healthier frog that buy on from a chain store. The last thing I want to do is spend first few pain staking weeks trying to nurse the frog back to recovery from illness or stress. I tried Joshs Frogs and they are actually all out of White Dumpy Tree Frogs I guess they recently just sold out but they have no listing's on their wep page at all, do you know of any other possible breeders that I could contact? and do you think LLL reptile would be a reliable company to get my frogs from.

Also, if I get a "blue" white dumpy tree frog can it possiably eventually turn green? like the one's I usually see. I never see people selling green ones. I hate to sound cheap as well but, it's all so very expensive I wish I could find a local store that sells them and is a reliable breeder shipping costs are through the roof. Cheri do you think you could also check this site here and tell me what you think? I found a site that sells them relatively cheaply as far as shipping costs.

http://www.butterfly-gifts.com/dumpy...-for-sale.html , thanks!

bshmerlie

Check out the classified section of the forum there is a member giving away his dumpy tank and all. LLL is also a good place to get frogs from.

Akuma

I told him I would be willing to take it off his hands, but the problem is he's states away so he would have to ship him too me, but if that doesnt work out do you know of any other breeders I could get a healthy frog from? Also, lol sorry to bombard you with questions but.. if I do decide to get the one at petsmart the WTF he's a brownish color can he turn green like a bright green that I see some WTF's over time?

IgbyKibbits

Cheri did a great job answering all your questions, so I'll just throw in some quick two-cents:

#1. We bought our first two White's from Petsmart, and while I won't say (for sure) that their untimely passing was caused by this, I will say that I don't feel comfortable buying from pet stores anymore. The shipping costs of buying from a reputable breeder are so much less than spending countless dollars trying to nurse your little frogs back to life! Take it from me...we spent hundreds of dollars and many hours trying to save our little guys Be patient and ask around! You'll find healthy frogs to bring home : )

#2. It sounds like you have a big enough tank for two. Utilize the vertical space well! We have multiple "levels" of climbing things, and they've loved it.

#3. We use the moss that you can buy at the store (all natural/no dyes) and soak it in frog safe water. Then, we spray the tank down or occasionally "re-soak" the moss, and lay it back down. We don't actually grow it.

#4. We powder once a week, including when they were babies, with calcium/vitamin supplements. As babies, we fed them every day as much as they would eat.

#5. Same thing, powder once a week, and we do the same thing as Cheri. I feed Quibble 3 to 4 crickets every other day, and if he looks like he's getting too plump, we cut it down a bit.

#6. We bought a cheap "under cabinet" light at Walmart, and put in a Repti-Glo UVB 2.0 bulb that we got from Petsmart. That sits above the tank on a 12-hour timer. We don't have plants, but the little frogs get all the healthy rays they need!

#7. I've never heard of (or seen) two frogs go after each other that are the same relative size.

#8. Second Cheri/Kurt on that. We bake our wood for 1 to 1 1/2 at 200' F.

#9. We spray at night to keep things moist (and not disturb sleeping frogs), and keep the humidity from 55-70% or so.

#10. When doing a thorough cleaning, we use a very very mild bleach dilution (we put it in a spray bottle with frog safe water), and spray down the tank sides/plants/etc. Then we use boiling water to rinse. We let the tank sit with the doors closed so the steam sort of boxes in the tank, and then we let it air out. We then spray just plain "frog safe" water and use paper towels to wipe everything down. You can buy Wipe Off at the pet store, and use that instead. Just be careful!!! Wipe Off has ammonia in it...so don't use it if you are planning on using a bleach dilution as well. That can be VERY dangerous, even lethal to you!!!! (not to mention the frogs).

Just make sure, whatever you use, that you can't smell any fumes on the plants/tank. We usually rinse a few times with hot water just to make sure.

As far as frog safe water, we use filtered tap water, and drops. We use the Reptisafe drops. One bottle has lasted us well over a year. Let that sit and you're good to go. We put that water in a spray bottle and use to spray the tank, fill the pond, etc.

gtr319

I am interested in getting one or possibly two as well.... I have a few questions as well...

1. How many should I house (max) if I were to get a 12 x 12 x 18? What about 12 x 12 x 12?
    2. Can I use the same substrate that I use for my pacmans?
    3. Do they have to have uvb lightings? or lightings for 12 hours mandatory?

Thanks for the time~ I think I am addicted to the frogs now...

bshmerlie

I think that a 12x12x18 is a little on the small side for whites. They're not a small frog and could definately use more space. Just my opinion, but I would go with a 20 gal or more if you can. If you use a coco fibre type soil just put some moss over it to keep the soil off their skin. I think all animals should be on a natural 12 hour cycle.

IgbyKibbits

Agreed on all accounts. At least a 20 gallon for two. You'd be amazed how big they get (I have been)!

gtr319

Hum... 18x18x24 is not big enough even for one? And what is the ideal substrate for the the WTFs?

John911

Quote Originally Posted by gtr319 View Post
    Hum... 18x18x24 is not big enough even for one? And what is the ideal substrate for the the WTFs?
    Should be fine for 2. Substrate, we just use eco earth.

gtr319

@ john: my badd, i meant 18 x 18 x 18

Thread Information