Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi. I'm new. Help.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hi. I'm new. Help.

Oh yes don't release any of them - the healthy ones probably carry whatever it is that is causing the bloating. Better to euthanise these than let them go (sorry!).
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

chumpy100

Quote Originally Posted by rockey2 View Post
    On July 3 I found eggs and new born tadpoles in my swimming pool.
    could the bloating/infection be from the chlorine?

Nationality
    [Ireland]

No it could not. This is a disease.

rockey2

The two pictures are of the same tadpole. There is one other large one. The others appear to be healthy. The baby frogs are climbing all over and the tadpoles go into an eating frenzy when I feed them, which is about eight times a day. Most of the baby frogs have tails but they are staying out of the water. Do you know a vet that knows anything about frogs in Palm Beach County or Broward County Florida? I am in Boca Raton.

Rockey

Nationality
    [Ireland]

I don't have much American vet info I'm afraid.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by rockey2 View Post
    Do you know a vet that knows anything about frogs in Palm Beach County or Broward County Florida? I am in Boca Raton.

Rockey
    No, but try here and see wha you can find.
    http://www.browardcountyvma.org/findavet.php

Also get into contract with a local herp society, at the very least they can help you find a vet.

Sawgrass Herpetological Society
    http://www.angelfire.com/fl/sawgrass/

The Calusa Herpetological Society Of Southwest Florida
    http://www.calusaherp.org/
    I believe the legendary Bill Love is member of Calusa.

rockey2

Thank you everyone who answered. I have not found a frog vet. I tried calling some of the local societies, but I have not gotten to talk to anyone. A lot of the numbers have been disconnected. Is there an antibiotic that I can get at a pet shop that I should use to treat the water?

Rockey

Kurt

I don't really know if there is. Sorry.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Rockey - to the best of my knowledge, all of the antibiotics in question are by prescription only. You're looking for something with Polymyxin B sulfate combined with another broad spectrum antibiotic. I can't recall off the top of my head what is and is not toxic to frogs but I have a feeling that either Bacitracin or Neomycin is toxic to amphibians and that is what is commonly available in general animal eye ointment.

rockey2

Thank you John. I was thinking of using tetracycline to treat the water. It comes in packets. I can buy it at Pet Smart without a prescription. The tadpoles do not look well, although they are eating goldfish food. A few have died. I separated them from the baby frogs. The froglettes are active and look okay. I don't know what to do about the tadpoles. I think I got in over my head. I have my pool cleaned and treted once a week. You can imagine my surprise when one morning I saw hundreds of tiny tadpoles in the pool, and the next day I found a large amount of eggs. I have always loved frogs. I have all kinds of frog stuff like statues, necklaces, etc. but I never expected to have live frogs. I don't know if the tadpoles will make it, but I'll try. I really appreciate your help.

Rockey

Kurt

Use a different food, I don't think goldfish food has enough nutrition. Tropical foods like Tetramin work well.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

I'm pretty sure tetracyclin isn't amphibian safe - best to check before you use it.

rockey2

Hi,

I still have several tadpoles in a 10 gallon tank. Two still look bloated and a few died. I spoke to two people that helped. The first person I spoke to has a reptile pet shop near my house. I told him about the sick tadpoles. He suggested Melafix. I called the U of Florida amphibian dept and left a message about having sick tadpoles. Several days later I got a call back. The doctor I spoke to said if it were her tadpoles she would treat them with an antibiotic such as tetracycline. I have been alternating between melafix and tetracycline. I change about 1/3 of the water every day. It has been about 6 days. Three of the tadpoles turned into frogs and I moved them. I see fewer dead tadpoles, none the last few days. One big problem is the melafix has turned the water so dark it is hard to see what is going on under the water. I know I took a chance treating them, but they looked so bad I had to try something. I am hoping that the sick tadpoles will be okay.

Rockey

Kurt

I think contacting the University of Florida was a very smart thing to do. I would trust their opinion over the average pet store guy and day of the week.

rockey2

Thank you. I was desperate. Then it came to me that a government agency or university might be helpful. I recently moved to Florida from Maryland. There is so much wildlife here. Four green frogs were on my bedroom window last night. You can go up to them and they don't seem to be afraid. Every day I see several species of lizards. The other day four iguanas were on my patio. I see turtles sunning themselves on rocks in the lake behind my house. I even had a baby black snake in my garage. Two muscovy ducks come to my fence several times a day to be fed. After it rains I hear frogs all night long.

Rockey

Kurt

Sounds like paradise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information