Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Growing African Bullfrog Collection

coastal20

Default My Growing African Bullfrog Collection

I just received 3 baby African bullfrogs yesterday and thought that I would share some pics of them and my 2 year old female(?). I have started keeping a photo log of their growth and eating habits, and hope to continue until they reach full size. The 3 babies range in size from 1.5-2 inches. I noticed one has a very blocky head compared to the others, guessing maybe there is a couple week age difference between him and the others. The female has been kept outside since April and she has loved it, has brought out more of her natural behavior imo. Not a very good picture of her because I did not want to destroy her burrow and its chilly in upstate ny right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jace

Default Re: My Growing African Bullfrog Collection

What cuties! Thanks for sharing!

Malachi

I got some at the beginning of the month. They are so fun to watch feed. Congrats

coastal20

Yea I think there feeding response is what first got me interested in them, well and there size. Actually the first pixie I had was incredible to watch eat mice, it would sit in its water dish and wait for the mouse to get within reach then grab it and go under the water and drown it. Smart frog..Also with my female I set her out in the grass one day after a friend and I were feeding her so she could sit in the sun and after 15 min of us talking my friend went to go look at her and she started opening her mouth and striking at him. He started walking around her to try to get behind her but she just kept turning to face him with her mouth open..I was amazed, but my friend did not enjoy it. hehe

RikoAustria

Nice looking froglets. That picture of your adult in its little cave thing is awesome. Do you have a full tank shot?

coastal20

Riko- Nope forget to take a full cage picture, I will take one tomorrow and post it. The cage is 3 foot wide by 3 foot long and 6 inches tall. I couldn't believe that she dug that cave in this hard upstate ny dirt. But on the cold nights she just crawls back into the hole and keeps warm. Thanks for all the comments..

RikoAustria

Nice... that's an interesting size enclosure. How far away are you from White Plains? Do you go to the show every other month?

coastal20

I am about 4 hours from white plains. I have gone to the show a couple times and there is always some amazing herps there. I plan on going this November and getting a couple more African bullfrogs, I really want to try and breed them.

onedge30

Well, I have added to my collection as well. Had to pick up a few of Frog Ranch's latest babies!! And a new female. To add to the breeders for the spring.

3 new giant pixie froglets bought at the Tampa repticon 9/26. And a female breeder that I have been following for the last six months at shows in the state. I had to have her for my breeders. Her name is Baby. She is 5 in svl.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

coastal20

Wow nice collection. I think that I need to start looking for a full grown male, maybe get lucky at the white plains reptile show. Have you had any luck with breeding?

onedge30

This spring will be my first serious attempt a breeding. I am gathering all the info I can and talking to all the experts that will share any knowledge.

I am very hopeful for a natural spring breeding.

Jeff Kennedy

Baby got back

EpicFrogMan

My friend has been trying to breed African Bullfrogs for 3 years with no luck. He has a degree in Herpetology. He has 2 Giant Males and a bunch of nice females. He tried a rain chamber and even aestivated a pair for 8 months.

Its not easy at all. Right now its only Kim from the Frog Ranch and select people from Zoos that can do it.

The male almost always reacts but the female never lays any eggs.

onedge30

Hi EpicFrogMan,

I would love to talk with your friend and compare notes and thoughts on breeding steps. I really want to put my best foot forward preparing the frogs and setting up the best environment to breed.

I have breed other reptiles, koi, frogs, and mammals. I realize that this is a very difficult thing to do. I am hoping to attempt breeding with out hormones, but may have to face facts that they must be used. I have seen too many koi die when injected with hormones for spawning.

wow i have four pixies right now a big 8 inch male and a 6 inch girl one 31/2 inch male and a 3 inch unsexed. keepiong in a outside inclosure wow cool what are you keeping her in? does she have her own pond?
    African Bullfrogs, Clawed Frogs, Salamanders, Newts, Bearded Dragons,

coastal20

I was just reading/looking at pictures of endangered frogs and was wondering do breeding facilities like the Frog Ranch try to breed these frogs in captivity to keep the species alive? Can herpetologists obtain special permission to keep and breed these endangered frogs?
    It would be a shame if we just let these species just die off.

coastal20

Will, the pond that I have in with her is a small rubber made bin that is buried in the dirt. There used to be grass in the cage but she managed to dig it all up. I would post pics but I have just brought her inside for winter, but I will post pics of her. I cant believe how many people have multiple pixies on this forum, thats awesome! I just cant get enough of them.

Received my dubia roaches Thursday and my frogs are crazy for them. Started a colony so I can save money on feeders and maybe purchase a couple more pixies.

Jeff Kennedy

Coastal, the dubia's are the smartest thing that you could have ever done. Just remember to leave them alone for about 4-5 months. This is how long it takes to get the colony going. We are seeing rapid growth in our Pyxies that feed heavy on the dubia side.

i am soo getting a colony ill get rid of the african worms how big are your pxies jeff

also coastal how do you caintain her is she in a pen of some sort

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information