Thread: My ACF setup

Default My ACF setup

I bought all the stuff for my ACF tank a couple of days ago and set it up. I was wondering if it looks adequate or if there's anything I should add, remove, move, etc. The only thing I can think is that it needs more hiding places. The only log type things I found had holes that were too small for an adult and I don't want to risk one getting stuck. But I'll keep my eyes open. I'm thinking maybe a background of some sort too.

Full tank:

Right side

Left side

Other side of cave thing

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My ACF setup

its great!

but - (sorry) that cave decoration...really anchor it down. if you flip it over you will notice one good sized hole to let the air out - - a young frog can easily get stuck in here are drown (it happened to a couple of my ADF with the same exact decoration)

other thank that it looks perfect!

(so when do you want the frogs?!) lol

Nationality
    [United States]

ok i figured here was as good a place as any
    out of the 5, three are large, one is medium, and there is a smaller one (all morphed at different times hence the difference is size)

if any certain ones pop out to you just tell me which picture and which three - I can tell them apart

Nationality
    [United States]

oh and if you are looking for a great cave thing - at petco go in the reptile section - they have plastic "logs" cut in half that make a great cave! they are usually only 10 bucks too

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Another way to create a "cave", is to use PVC pipe of the proper diameter. Make sure you sand the rough spots so your frogs aren't injured. You could also use those plastic floating lily pads. Many people don't realize that these frogs occasionally leave the water, especially at night. In the wild, these frogs will migrate short distances over land to seek more favorable habitat or colonize new areas.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hi Jen,

I really enjoy your photos and marvel at your success in breeding ACFs. Great job and I hope you are taking notes on what you are doing. They will be very valuable. It's strange, but there are not many non-scientific articles on ACF husbandry.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep my eyes open. As far as the hole in the cave, I'll try to figure something out. I wonder if there is anything I can cover it with, like a mesh of some sort. I know I can't put metal in, but maybe plastic mesh or something with a smilar design so air could still get out. Then I'd have to figure out how to attach it, I assume all glues that would withstand water are toxic. I don't know, I'll figure something out.

Yay pictures! Alright...
    All of these are in the first picture:
    Bottom right guy (stretched out)
    Little one on the left
    And in the upper right corner the one on the left

I'm not super picky though, they are all beautiful, healthy looking little frogs and I'd be happy to have any of them, but those guys caught my attention, particularly the first two I listed.

I really wish I could have them now! but I want to make sure the tank is cycled so nothing bad happens to them. Soon though, the wait is killing me!

Nationality
    [United States]

no worries!!! these are really durable little guys!

when ever you are ready just let me know. just curious, but how are you cycling that it would only take two weeks? most fishless cycles take 6-8 weeks. are you seeding the tank? if you are, are you feeding the bacteria so it doesn't starve?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by tgampper View Post
    Hi Jen,

I really enjoy your photos and marvel at your success in breeding ACFs. Great job and I hope you are taking notes on what you are doing. They will be very valuable. It's strange, but there are not many non-scientific articles on ACF husbandry.

thanks Terry. And I have been keeping a typed "diary". Once all the babies from this batch are in their new homes I will breed again. Another pairing of natural X albino. The rest of my juveniles have reached sexual maturity but are still too young to actively breed. At the end of this month I will be ordering a male borealis to pair with my female. I may also be able to get my hand on a pair of piebalds!

By the spring I should have old enough frogs for simultaneous pairings (if the fiance lets me set up a few extra tanks) of albino X albino, natural X natural, reticulated albino X golden reticulated albino, borealis X borealis, piebald X piebald

can't wait! If I am unable to set up the extra tanks (we only have a 1 bedroom apartment) then I will cycle the pairings

Yeah the more I'm reading the more I'm thinking it's going to take longer, I had origonally said 2 weeks because someone on a forum told me that's about how long it would take, perhaps that's how long it took them. Now I've seen everything from people saying it takes 10 days to them saying 2 months or more, so I guess we'll see, I'll be sure to keep you updated on the progress so you know I'm still around lol.

As far as methods I'm going by the article on the caudata culture website.

Nationality
    [United States]

Three frogs this small would do fine during cycling. Their waste is so slight right now it would need verey small water changes as it is. I keep them in a low filtration system with live waTer wisteria. Ill send some clippings for you to float. That will keep water levels fine while u cycle

Alright, so long as you think it's safe for the little guys I'd love to have them sooner rather than later. Just tell me how much shipping is exactly and I'll get it to you ASAP (I believe my address is in a PM to you on the fish forum, if it's not just tell me).

budugly

I saw you mentioned something about glue, I own land hermit crabs at times people want to glue things down to make second levels for climbing they use aquaium "glue" or you know the stuff that they use that holds the sides together. If they use that in aquariums why can't you use it on your decorations? I use the plastic mat that people buy in the craft section to make hook rugs, comes in all sizes and is dirt cheap and cuts easy & mount on the side of my tank for my crabs to climb on. I paid .97 for i think a 12 x 12' square of it. just an idea to use to cover your hole,and it's small enough the frog can't get any bod part stuck in it either.

Thread Information