Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building a new one!

Kurt

Default Re: Building a new one!

Mine never really burrow, they are usually visible. My microps use their hide box about 75% of the time. My bifasciatus are usually not hidden much. Of course the more you have the more likely you are to see them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by SludgeMunkey View Post
    Well, you have me sold on them Kurt. It appears to be the exact type of exotic frog I have been looking for.
    Yeah, Phrynomantis frogs rule! Just wished there were more available. Of the five species only seem to be available, bifasciatus and microps. The other three, annectens, affinis, and somalicus, are never offered for sale. And to tell the truth, I have no idea what Phrynomantis somalicus even looks like.

Jace

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Mine never really burrow, they are usually visible. My microps use their hide box about 75% of the time. My bifasciatus are usually not hidden much. Of course the more you have the more likely you are to see them.
    Actually, the more I look up these little frogs, the more I like them. I only buy my frogs from one place, so I am going to phone them today and see if they are available for me.

I am having a hard time finding a care sheet on them-could jot down some basics for me (temp, humidity, food etc) and what would be the best habitat for them. I would like to include a water feature-maybe a waterfall-would that be beneficial for them? Thanks Kurt-really appreciate the advice.

Kurt

You're welcome. I keep mine on sphagnum moss and feed them small insects such as fruit flies, small crickets, and been weevils. Don't know what the humidity should be, but I keep the sphagnum moist and they seem to do well. They are kept upstairs where is warm most of the year, upper 70's - 80 or 82F. The bifasciatus have a hide box but don't use it much, maybe because they have a bunch of artificial plants to hang out in. Which reminds me, they are excellent climbers. The microps just have a hide box for now, which they definitely use.
    There isn't much written on the husbandry of this species, but one of these days I will get my #### together and write some thing on it. I need to do more research and I want to try breeding them, that way I will have actyually have something to write about.

Jace

Thanks Kurt! The more information I'm finding about them, the more I think I would like to have them. It's going to take a bit to set up the viviarium, and hopefully I can get them here in Canada. Fingers crossed!

Kurt

Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information