Thread: RETF Leg shaking and curled toes?

Lorne

Default RETF Leg shaking and curled toes?

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I had a question regarding one of my tree frogs.

I have two in a 12*18*18 Exo Terra with plenty of fake plants and some vines, and coco fibre as substrate. I have a fogger setup going every 2ish hours with the occasional misting. The humidity is usually 60-80% and the temps are about 82 during the day and about 75 during the night which is sustained by a small or medium heat pad and a sunglo bulb. I have had them for about a year an a half, no vet check ups. I also have a water dish which is changed about every 2 days for soaking. I rarely handle them, and by rarely I mean only if I think something is up. They both eat gut loaded crickets, which I have just recently started putting in a bowl which are put in about every 2 days. They both seem to be pretty healthy weight wise, and I can post weights tomorrow. The water that is used is distilled, both from the fogger and water dish

Up until the other day they seemed to have been fine. I noticed the larger one, which might be a female(I think the smaller one might be a male due to the different nose shapes) not sleeping in a tight tree frog wad as normal, her back right leg was not tucked in. Then during that night when she got up, her toes were sort of curled and she had what seemed to be not much mobility in them, however she still managed to crawl around. She would sit on a perch with her front legs on and back legs off, and she would be sort of stretching them? But then they would start shaking. I Tried to check for anything on the internet for about an hour, then I went to bed. Then the next morning she was sleeping normally and when I woke her up by accident her leg looked and functioned normal. Then just this morning her leg was not tucked in again.

I have absolutely no idea what's up and the vet will be called tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone had any sort of similar experiences? The other frog seems to be absolutely fine.

I will be able to post pictures within the next few days.

Thanks,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Paul Rust

Default Re: RETF Leg shaking and curled toes?

Hi,
    I raise A.moreletii (Black Eyed Leaf Frogs)
    I have seen this behavior in my big female. It seems to happen every few months and doesnt seem to bother her. Some will say it is calcium deficiency but I assure you in my case it isn't and probably not in your case either. Mine dont always tuck up tight either. I wouldn't really worry too much unless color changes or feeding stops.

Lorne

Thank you very much for the quick reply! I just finished brushing my teeth.

The only two things I was thinking was either a calcium def. (which I thought unlikely due to my gut loading) or impaction.

I will keep an eye out for any sort of color changes and as far as feeding goes out of the 11 crickets that were in the bowl only 2 were left. I also find what I think to be healthy amounts of poop which I take out.

Paul Rust

They are probably just fine.
    Welcome to the forum!

Kurt

Are you dusting with calcium, because got loading won't do it alone. I have a red-eye the moment that has a similar problem and the vet thinks its hypocalcemia. So up the calcium. Also only use distilled in your mister, its too clean for the water bowl. Use dechlorinated tap water for that.

While I have you here, could you please post your location and country in your profile? It helps us to help you.

Paul Rust

I should have mentioned that I dust as well with calcium, so I have almost ruled that out in my case. If you don't dust, Kurt is right.

IgbyKibbits

Just a quick question while we are discussing it: I know the general rule is to calcium/vitamin dust once a week. Just like humans, can you "over dust/vitamin" feed?

I would imagine so, but I was wondering if anyone has concrete experience/research relating.

Thanks!

Lorne

Yea I dust once a week with some calcium, sorry forgot to mention that. And I'm not sure about Frogs, but I know other types of reptiles can develop different sorts of problems with too much dusting.

Also I was wondering why you suggested the dechloro water for the dish?

Kurt

I dust with every feeding and I have no problems. Not all dust makes it into the frog, so keep that in mind.

Thread Information