Thread: Understanding him

Waybueno

Default Understanding him

Is color changing a stress thing? My frog is almost always the nice light green color. In his tank I have a big purple bowl that I feed him in and there was about a two week period where I was gone a lot so it was left in his tank. After those two weeks I took it out and I only put it in for feeding but I noticed his skin darkened and thought it might be a stress thing because I took the bowl out, thats the only changes he's had recently so I put it back in and within a day or two he was back to his normal color. But I checked on him today and he was a little dark again, is color changing a stress thing or am I just over reacting? He seems to have a bond with this big purple bowl because he knows its where he is fed, when he is hungry he goes inside of it and starts singing, or probably in his words yelling at me to feed him. He's big fat and healthy looking, his tank his at the perfect temps I mist it throughout the day, so I dont know what could be bothering him.

EDIT: Also whats the best way for disinfecting branches and stuff from outside for him, iv heard boiling,baking or putting it in the freezer.

EDIT AGAIN: Also I see alot of picture of dumpys wit fat rolls over their heads or rolls of fat everywhere, when he is full grown is he gonna have these fatty rolls? Is it a normal thing? or are those obese dumpys? He's pretty fat right now but he doesnt have fat rolls.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Waybueno

Default Re: Understanding him

knowone?

Kurt

My White's change color depending where they are. At the back of the tank they are brown, the front green. Nothing to worry about.

You can bake wood in the over for an hour or two at 200 F.

Don't over feed your frog or it will be come obesse and that leads to all kinds of health problems.

IgbyKibbits

Waybeuno -

For short cleaning (short of stripping the tank), I use boiling water. When doing a full clean, we use a mild bleach solution and then rinse with boiling water. This is for plastic branches and decorations. I second Kurt on the cooking of actual wood.

As for my personal experience with color, I again second Kurt. My whites tend to change color based on location. The primary thing to be concerned about isn't necessarily the color but a change in the normal patterns of color. Color change combined with other deviations in behavior such as loss of appetite, decrease in activity, etc., can indicate sickness. In other words, get to know you're little guy. As long as other behaviors are remaining the same (is he still eating well, still as active as before?), than you have nothing to worry about!

-IgbyKibbits

Thread Information