Thread: new to the forum... american bullfrog

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default new to the forum... american bullfrog

I am new to the forum... I have a bullfrog... he is about 1/4 lb in size... I raised him from a tadpole... well I had six tadpols and he is the only one that survived. I have him in a 10 gall aquarium with 1/2 water and 1/2 peetmoss with a chunck of sod over 1/2 of the peat moss area... its in a hump shape so he has a cave to crawl into with a peat moss floor. the grass is about 8" tall... so he likes to sit in it.. and chase the crickets up the grass blades. I give him between 2 and 4 crickets a day... and once a week sprinkel the mineral powder on them.

Ok... I have a few questions...

Is a 10 gall aquarium enough
    is 2 to 4 crickets a day enough
    does he need to get out and exercise his legs (i.e., jumping)

I was thinking about taking a kids waiding pool and putting a peice of sod in one half to make land. then putting about 4 inches of water in the other half with a filter to keep the water... add a lilly or some water plants... put a grow light above it 12 hours on 12 hours off... that would give him 3 yards by 3 yard to jump and swim... would this work... what could I use to make sure he did not jump out... I think they are only about 8" deep...

well any advice for me and my american bullfrog would be great... I realy enjoy watching him... even thought he is not very active... I think he likes to pretend I cant see him. as you can tell I am new to this frog thing... but want to make sure I am taking good care of him...

Kurt

Default Re: new to the forum... american bullfrog

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
    Is a 10 gall aquarium enough
    is 2 to 4 crickets a day enough
    does he need to get out and exercise his legs (i.e., jumping)

I was thinking about taking a kids waiding pool and putting a peice of sod in one half to make land. then putting about 4 inches of water in the other half with a filter to keep the water... add a lilly or some water plants... put a grow light above it 12 hours on 12 hours off... that would give him 3 yards by 3 yard to jump and swim... would this work... what could I use to make sure he did not jump out... I think they are only about 8" deep....
    First of all, welcome aboard.

Second, yes a ten-gallon tank is too small for most Ranids, the family which North American bullfrogs, Lithobates catesbeianus belong to. Their legs are quite powerful and they can launch them themselves quite some distance when startled or frightened. I have seen them jump off of the surface on my swimming pool and on to the deck, which is at least eight inches higher than the surface of the water. So with a small tank like a ten-gallon, a bullfrog is likely to hurt itself by crashing into the sides of the tank.

The kiddie pool is a decent idea. The problem it is how do you keep the frog in. How are your carpentry skills?

What you could do is build a box a few inches longer, wider, and taller than the pool. Line the box with a tarp to prevent the wood from rotting, place the kiddie pool in the center. Fill the areas around pool with either clean potting soil or coconut bedding. You may want to cover this substrate to prevent the previously mentioned materials from being tracked into your pool.

Next build the frame work to a screen mesh box that will fit over the top of your first box. Remember to build an access door somewhere in you mesh box. You should design mesh box to be removable for maintenance. Also, you might want to paint the wood work with a nontoxic, water proof paint before stretching the mesh over it. Same goes for the lower half of the enclosure.

Once set up you can add some plants, providing you have light over the enclosure. Water lettuce is nice floating plant for the pool, as is duckweed. Java moss is a tough hardy plant that will grow in the pool and attach itself to the pool itself. There are some nice submersible filters that would maintain the water quality of the pool. I personally use Dueto filters from Marineland, Petco carries them.

Also, if you want to add a "cool" buddy for your frog, albino bullfrogs are available. Just make sure they are very close in size and you quarantine any new frogs for 30 days before adding them to your established population.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to the forum. Kurt's given you some great advice.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]

Welcome! Advice given is good, let us know how it goes!
    God bless,

Laura

Kurt

Oh, I just want to add that you should use metal screen mesh and not the nylon/plastic kind, as crickets can and will chew threw it.

Thread Information