Thread: R.I.P Fern

treefrogfan

Default R.I.P Fern

So a few months ago i got my first frog, she was a medium sized gray treefrog who I named Fern. Well last week Fern died. I have no clue what went wrong I was sad. Well This last week I cleaned out my terrarium and got a new little gray female named Windy she is so small! Like the size of half my thumb. Then I got her a friend another gray female named Camolocha, she is HUGE! Like a giant among grays. I have NEVER seen a gray tree frog that big before. So now I have two ends of the spectrum living in my terrarium. HA! Is it normal for these guys to bury themselves in dirt form time to time?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

BigBruiserAl

Default Re: R.I.P Fern

yes my tree frogs did it often, i would be a little concened about the big one eating the small one

charlamanda

Quote Originally Posted by BigBruiserAl View Post
    yes my tree frogs did it often, i would be a little concened about the big one eating the small one
    Yah, me too!
    I would not put a froglet that tiny in with an adult. I was told by either John or Kurt that the adults WILL eat the froglets. Take the little guy out immediatley or Windy will be Missing!!!!
    I've been told the rule of thumb is don't mix species and don't mix sizes, the closer to the same size the better. Windy will grow fairly quickly, I have lots of Gray Tree froglets and they were about 1/2" about 3-4 weeks ago and now they are more than an inch. Once Windy is large enough Camolocha won't mistake her for food you can put her back in with the larger one, but make sure she is large enough!
    I am sorry for your loss, but you'd be more upset if one ate the other.
    Keep us posted and post some pics, I love my Gray and pics of others.

IgbyKibbits

I second Charla. Also, especially given the passing of the previous frog, I would keep these guys quarantined for a minimum of 30 days from each other!!! (And then additionally, until the small one is no longer "food size" for the big guy).

The rule of thumb that I have heard/researched is to keep the small frog separate until he is at least 1/2 the size of the bigger frog. That's with whites though, so I don't know if it's different.

Additionally, the reason you want to quarantine is to make sure that each frog is healthy, showing no signs of illness, and eating well. Take it from me, as a very VERY big lesson:

I got Quibble (my new little White's frog) three weeks ago after losing my little Kibbits. We kept him in quarantine from Igby as the precaution. Thank the frog god that we did. Just three weeks later, Igby is sick and we're fighting to keep her alive Had we not kept them completely quarantined (even to the extent of changing latex gloves each time we handled anything from one tank/frog to the other), Quibble would have been exposed. : ( Luckily, we followed the quarantine rule and he's still happy and healthy, and getting very very fat : )

Sorry for the loss of Fern

Let me be the fourth to say you need to separate your frogs. Grays will try to eat anything that moves and looks like it might fit down their throat. My own big female has made several attempts on my fingers. From your size descriptions, your little one will get eaten if the big one gets a chance.

Eel Noob

Sorry about the loss.

Grats on the new pickups but l too would recommend keeping them seperate for now till the smaller one put on some size.

treefrogfan

Thanks for the advice. Funny yall should mention the big one eating the little one because the day after I wrote this post Windy went missing. I started to freak out. I could see Camolocha and she looked a lot bigger. My brain immediately said "Oh no Windy has been eaten." So just in case I began a frantic clean up of the terrarium. There was no sign of Windy for long time, then I noticed one of the rocks moving. I picked up the rock and it was Windy! Safe and sound! I am going to separate them till she gets bigger though. Fern never burrowed so I have no experience with this how am I to feed them under the ground?

charlamanda

Quote Originally Posted by treefrogfan View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Funny yall should mention the big one eating the little one because the day after I wrote this post Windy went missing. I started to freak out. I could see Camolocha and she looked a lot bigger. My brain immediately said "Oh no Windy has been eaten." So just in case I began a frantic clean up of the terrarium. There was no sign of Windy for long time, then I noticed one of the rocks moving. I picked up the rock and it was Windy! Safe and sound! I am going to separate them till she gets bigger though. Fern never burrowed so I have no experience with this how am I to feed them under the ground?
    OMG..I would have panicked big time!!! That goodness you found her.
    As for underground eating,LOL, try antsLOL
    Windy probably was hiding from Camolocha, I would too if I looked like a meal!

IgbyKibbits

Your last post should have come with a warning! "All is okay!" Haha. I felt panicked just reading it. Glad to know Windy is okay!

Thread Information