Thread: Buying feeders, where?

Tropicok

Default Buying feeders, where?

I'm curious where everyone here buys their live insects: fruit flies, crickets, all kinds of worms, etc. Do you grow your own, buy at a store, buy online?
    Alice

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jace

Default Re: Buying feeders, where?

I have tried breeding crickets and mealworms. The crickets were a nightmare, and though I had success with the mealworms, I decided I wanted the room for more frogs and not raising food items!! So, now, I buy in bulk from a local petstore and I get my earthworms from a bait store.

hyla

I buy mine at a mom and pop pet store about 15 miles away. It is the only option I have unless I want to travel farther. I go about every other week and buy 2 doz crickets and half as many waxworms. Might not seem like much but I just have the one gray. They get in fresh shipments every Tuesday so thats usually the day I go. I hope I never have to resort to raising crickets. If so I will be posting a gray tree frog in the classifieds.

Kurt

I produce my own fruit files, bean weevils, and wax worms. If I need new fruit fly cultures I go to Black Jungle. I buy crickets in bulk locally at Zoo Creatures or at shows from Komodo Reptiles.

I breed crickets and mealworms and will try waxworms again soon (my first attempt was a total failure).

Kevin1

I breed my feeders. Currently breeding Lobster roaches, Mealworms, and hopefully soon to be grasshoppers(Green bird grasshopper,Schistocerca Shoshone).
    I buy crickets rarely, superworms, hornworms, and nightcrawlers from my local pet shop om occasion.

Greenlove

I culture my own fruit flies. I am raising 500 crickets to try and breed them. They are about a week away from laying eggs I think, so I'll see how that goes. I bought 500 meal worms last week to try and breed them, I'm already getting pupa so that's a good sign. If I can ever get my hands on a bean weevil culture I will culture them too. I think I'm going to try red wigglers next, I think my frogs would enjoy them.

Thread Information