Thread: Shrimp as food?

Jace

Default Shrimp as food?

Since I can't get captive bred cockroaches were I am and my hissing cockroaches are not doing what they need to be doing in the dark (as far as I can see! ), I am going to try pre-cooked frozen shrimp. Just wondering if other members use shrimp as food as well and if it would be a type of food that can be fed on a regular basis. Anyone's opinions would be greatly appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Shrimp as food?

I use them as an occasional treat. The problem is that the pyxies don't really respond well to them at more than 1 or 2 meals in a row (or any way close together). The staple I use is earthworms. In the US you can get these locally from Walmart and Academy.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Jace

Thanks John. Maybe I'll just use it as a treat once a week or something. I get my worms from a place that sells them as bait. I get funny looks when I tell them it's for my frogs and not for going fishing!!

B1GFROG

Earthworms definitely seem to be a favorite with Pyxies. Mine utterly tears them up. I never mess with Shrimp, or any of the fish-type foods. Worms & Crickets seem to be the absolute best choice.

Jace

Quote Originally Posted by B1GFROG View Post
    Earthworms definitely seem to be a favorite with Pyxies. Mine utterly tears them up. I never mess with Shrimp, or any of the fish-type foods. Worms & Crickets seem to be the absolute best choice.
    Thanks-I'm finding that as well, though my two will go for the worms and superworms before even the crickets. They have already lost interest in the shrimp for the most part-that just means there is more for me!

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Shrimp only seem to work on these frogs when not used at every feeding. Superworms seem to be to Pyxies what waxworms are to Tiger Salamanders - amphibian crack.

Jace

Amphibian crack?!? Lol-I'll have to remember that. But it describes it perfectly. I'm going to stick with my dew worms and hopefully I can get my roaches to breed. If not, as long as the frogs are happy, so am I.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Roaches take a while to build up a steady supply (sometimes 6 months). Do you have any photos of the roaches and dew worms? I've never seen a dew worm.

B1GFROG

haha Amphibian crack really does describe it well. Sometimes I can barely get the food in the tank without one jumping up to get it.

Jace

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Roaches take a while to build up a steady supply (sometimes 6 months). Do you have any photos of the roaches and dew worms? I've never seen a dew worm.
    I have never tried to breed roaches before, but I'm hoping the two males to one female ratio will work to my favour. They might be in too small a container right now-they are being upgraded to a 5 gallon tank soon. Here are some photos of the roaches (Akida-male; Juma, male; Desta, female) and some chubby worms!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Ah hissers - I thought you had gotten something else. If I recall correctly, hissers aren't the greatest multiplier.

Those worms are Lumbricus terrestris, the original earthworm.

Jace

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Ah hissers - I thought you had gotten something else. If I recall correctly, hissers aren't the greatest multiplier.

Those worms are Lumbricus terrestris, the original earthworm.
    No, hissers aren't the best, but one can hope mine will be the exception to the rule. Regardless, they are fascinating pets and the males have provided some real entertainment.

The worms I bought during the winter were a lot bigger. My guess is the more demand, the less time they have to grow before they are shipped out. Either way, Kadesh and Obi recognize the container and get ready at feeding time!

Nationality
    [United States]

If you want to encourage your roaches to breed, try increasing the temp a bit... atleast that's what i read, im looking into breeding roaches myself, in im gunna, im getting these, they seem to be the best choice... Turkistan Roaches for Sale:Blatta lateralis:Buy Turkistan Roaches Here

not sure y it but that up instead of the url....

Nationality
    [Ireland]

The forum automatically retrieves the title of the link you paste.

Jace

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    If you want to encourage your roaches to breed, try increasing the temp a bit... atleast that's what i read, im looking into breeding roaches myself, in im gunna, im getting these, they seem to be the best choice... Turkistan Roaches for Sale:Blatta lateralis:Buy Turkistan Roaches Here

not sure y it but that up instead of the url....
    Thanks Bruce-I'll look into it. Canada has some weird laws concerning live animals, even feeder insects. They allow hissing cockroaches brought in and sold, but no other roaches as far as I can find. They even banned millipedes for a few years because of the slight toxin they can excrete. Now I can can millipedes, but not roaches. Go figure.

Nationality
    [United States]

jeeze, that pretty weird Jace... never heard of anything like that...

Thread Information