Thread: New to the forum, hoping for help IDing a couple frogs

Meecht

Default New to the forum, hoping for help IDing a couple frogs

I bought two different types of frogs from a local pet store, but they couldn't give me exact names for them. I took some photos of them, but I won't decrease the image size in order to preserve the quality of the image. Due to this, I'll only link to the images.

"Spotted frog"

I was charged same price as a White's (I think) for this one (one of my fire-bellies is in the pic, too)

I have some other frogs, too. One is a pacman that I've had for about a year now, and my roommate has a European Green Toad which is currently hiding in its burrow so I couldn't get a pic of it. We also maintain a fire-belly tank that houses 3 fire-bellies, a fire-belly newt, and a red-clawed crab, and a few fish. The mystery frogs posted above are currently living with them until one of us gets time to setup an actual tank for them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SethD

Default Re: New to the forum, hoping for help IDing a couple frogs

The "spotted frogs" look like Occidozyga Lima. Those are moderately common in the pet trade.

4. 2 members thank SethD for this post:

Kurt

I would seperate all those amphibian species as soon as possilble.

Meecht

Occidozyga Lima looks like a perfect match for the little guys, thank you, SethD!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    I would seperate all those amphibian species as soon as possilble.
    I plan on separating them soon, probably tonight if my roommate doesn't get around to doing it while I'm at work.

Do you think it'd be safe to house the Occidozyga Lima with the mystery frog? The mystery guy looks like a fire-belly in the coloration, but it has a white belly, rectangular eyes, and lacks the warty-like skin. Originally I thought it might be a type of tree frog by the way it curled over the edge of its perch as the pet shop, but it lacks the toe pads of a typical tree frog.

Jace

Most members of the Forum recommend that all frog/toad species be separated into their own homes. Between possible sharing of parasites, different levels of skin toxicity and even slight differences in temperature and humidity requirements, housing different species together may mean sick, unhappy or even dead animals. Especially with a mystery frog that no-one is quite sure of yet. Better to be safe than sorry. Hope everything turns out okay.

Thread Information