Thread: Whites advice.

Ash pepperell

Smile Whites advice.

After seeing and working with a pair of whites and after wanting one for ages I've decided to start saving for one. So I gots a few questions that need asking.
    For a start would a single adult be OK in an 84ltr rub
    Can I use a heat mat on the side
    And how much roughly do they cost a month to feed
    All the best.
    Ash.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Whites advice.

Hi, and welcome!

I know there's a thread on here (or maybe a few) about making a frog tank out of a bin like that. You would have to do some work it. I don't think you could put a heating pad on there though.

And I feed each of my White's between 10-15 crickets a week. At 11 cents each, that's about $5 or $6 a month. Throw in a container of mealworms to last you a couple months and that raises it a couple dollars.

Ash pepperell

Quote Originally Posted by 1beataway View Post
    Hi, and welcome!

I know there's a thread on here (or maybe a few) about making a frog tank out of a bin like that. You would have to do some work it. I don't think you could put a heating pad on there though.

And I feed each of my White's between 10-15 crickets a week. At 11 cents each, that's about $5 or $6 a month. Throw in a container of mealworms to last you a couple months and that raises it a couple dollars.
    Nice one buddy
    So If I cut out a large circle out of the top and put one of these on top (with bulb obviously) would that be alright?
    And roughly what wattage should the bulb be?
    thanks again

I think you'll want to have an area cut out and replaced with screen. White's need a lot of ventilation. Then you could put a lamp in that area. I am not sure how large an 84 liter is. I like having measurements.

I have never built a tank like that, but others have and I'm sure could provide a lot more info about how to do it.

6. This member thanks 1beataway for this post:

Ash pepperell

I think you'll want to have an area cut out and replaced with screen. White's need a lot of ventilation. Then you could put a lamp in that area. I am not sure how large an 84 liter is. I like having measurements.

I have never built a tank like that, but others have and I'm sure could provide a lot more info about how to do it.
    Yeah I forgot to mention the screen part.
    As for measurements it's around 2ft (high) x15"x15
    Now I have to decide wether to get a whites or a milk frog.

Those are good measurements.

I personally like White's. Great personalities.

Ash pepperell

Those are good measurements.

I personally like White's. Great personalities.
    Yeah they are nice, but after seeing those milks at the shop I'm torn between them

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have 4 whites in two 30 gall aquariums. I really enjoy there personality. I get them out to play a few times a week. My whites like to jump from plant to wall to pant and then jump in the water dish. They make a mess like 4 year olds. Thats why I split them into to pairs. I have two males and two females. They have there own pairing so I left them like that. They do like to hang out together. Most of the time you see them together or climbing around the glass. I would say it costs me about 16 crickets each a week. at about 11 cents each.

If it were me... I would get a tall aquarium... they like to be high in the tank. I use tall plants that look like elephant ears but are only about 20" tall. they love to climb the stalks and spring on the leaves. I would get a large water dish they love to play in it. I use sorgum moss as my base for the tank. I don't use a heating mat. but in the winter I have a red light that I use on top of the tank. I turn it on when I turn the white light out during the day. they like to sun bath under the lights. Mine turn green sometimes and brown sometimes its the color of the background... the mood they are in... and the time of day.

Good luck...

P.S. I also like my red eyes ... but they don't move while I am up and they don't eat in front of me. the whites attach the crickets... its fun to watch.

Ash pepperell

So why couldn't I use a heat mat on the side of the tub?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I had a heat mat in one of my tanks... I found it easier to turn on and off the red light at night when the temperature was lower. As an added benifiet I could watch them play at night under the red light. They say frogs don't see the red light ... it looks like night time to them. I could never really feel the heat from the mat. Where the light kept the temp in the whole tank at the right spot.

Ash pepperell

Cheers buddy. Would a blue one be OK?
    And I've decided to get a big exo instead of a rub.
    What wattage would I need?

Ash pepperell

What live plants would be safe to use in there?

Thread Information