Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will a pair of thumbnails......

Paysons Darts

Exclamation Will a pair of thumbnails......

I'm going to purchase a pair of thumbnails, I was wondering if a pair would do ok in this. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=4070858 It's a 12x12x12 terrarium.

Thanks,
    Brenden

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

John911

Probably want to go with the 18" tall. My thumbnails use the whole thing and are usually up top.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

Paysons Darts

Default Re: Will a pair of thumbnails......

If I went with this instead of the 12x12x18 would it be ok? I know thumbnails like to climb, but its 100 bucks more for 6 inches...

Thanks,
    Brenden

John911

I got mine for 50-70 bucks on sale there. i think regular price is 80. i dunno where youre seeing them for 100 more.

MichelleSG

A pair of thumbs in a 12x12x12 would be a tight squeeze. Realize that some morphs are arboreal and wouldn't appreciate that space. A 12x12x18 is equivalent to a 10 gallon vert. You could get a 10 gallon for $10 at the $1/gallon sale at Petco (starts again Oct 3rd) and then spend $20 on a vert kit. Actually with that savings you could go up to a 20 gallon and vert kit it. If you're worried about budget that's what I would do. It'd be better for the frogs and you'll be more likely to get them to breed if they're happier. Then you could recoup the price of the tank.

Paysons Darts

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleSG View Post
    A pair of thumbs in a 12x12x12 would be a tight squeeze. Realize that some morphs are arboreal and wouldn't appreciate that space. A 12x12x18 is equivalent to a 10 gallon vert. You could get a 10 gallon for $10 at the $1/gallon sale at Petco (starts again Oct 3rd) and then spend $20 on a vert kit. Actually with that savings you could go up to a 20 gallon and vert kit it. If you're worried about budget that's what I would do. It'd be better for the frogs and you'll be more likely to get them to breed if they're happier. Then you could recoup the price of the tank.
    Where can I find a vertical kit at?

Thanks for all the help!

-Brenden

MichelleSG

JungleBox.net
    Don't forget to check Craigslist too. I have 2 12x12x18 and both of them cost me $40 and I found them on CL.

Paysons Darts

I just bought a brand new 12x12x18 terrarium at petco, on sale 50 bucks! Thanks for all the help,
    When I have my setup done and ready I will be sure to post pics and vids!
    Any ideas on tank set ups would be awsome, I have a pretty good idea on how im setting up my thumbnail tank but I would like to hear some suggestions!

Thanks,
    Brenden

MichelleSG

Excellent price! Are you going for a water feature in it? And have you set up a dart tank before?

Paysons Darts

Excellent price! Are you going for a water feature in it? And have you set up a dart tank before?
    I've never set a dart frog tank up before but im really excited about it. I really want a water feture I have a pump and all I'm just not sure if i can stick the pump in the hydrotons. If you could help me through it that would be awsome! Also what vitamins and calcium supliments do you buy for your darts? And how often do you switch and feed both?

Thanks,
    Brenden

MichelleSG

Oh boy, where to start. A water feature in a tank that small will be a tight squeeze because you don't have a lot of floor space. I have one set up with a water feature in it, a large piece of mopani wood set in the back wall of great stuff. The pump for it is external though, I had bulkheads put in the back. Your water height is limited by where the holes are in the front, if it goes that high it'll dribble out the holes. Watch it when you mist, the water level will go up every time you mist. You must have glass cut to cover the screen top in order to get the high humidity you need. I crack mine slightly by laying a pen under one side so the front glass won't fog. If your water feature isn't contained somehow to one area it will soak the substrate, keep that in mind when planting.

Darts like hiding in leaf litter, you can't put a whole lot in if the water feature is too large. I don't like leaf litter so I just cram twice as many plants as humanly possible in there. The rule of thumb is 3 bromeliads for every dart frog. I managed to put 2 gigantic broms in mine (1 high 1 low) and then shoved 3 more mini neo broms in the gs background. That's not counting the 2 orchids, 1 vine, 1 hoya, 1 ivy, and a pothos like plant in forget the name of and the 2 water plants I put in the pool at the bottom. If the frogs can't hide in all that they're just going to have to stick to the glass.

If you set the background up right you can put a lot into a 12x12x18 but I had mine made by a local very experienced viv builder. I don't have the tools to drill the glass and I'm all about the gs mess in his garage and not mine.

Vitamin supplements, very important for darts.
    Reptical
    Herpavite
    Repashy Calcium ICB
    Repashy Superpig (twice a month)
    Vitamin A (human grade, dry, from Amazon.com) twice a month

The first three I use everyday that I'm not using the last two, 1:1:1
    The last 2 are for coloration and vitamin a which most dart frogs have a serious lack of. There's warnings of overdosing them on vitamin a, that's why they are only once a week. I feed the vitamin a and superpig on alternating weeks. The schedule depends on you, everybody is slightly different. Almost everyone uses the first 2, not everybody is enlightened to the vitamin a. I add the ICB because it's sweet, the frogs love it.

13. This member thanks MichelleSG for this post:

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

If you do get the Petsmart terrarium, remember to seal it appropriately to keep in the humidity.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Paysons Darts

Oh boy, where to start. A water feature in a tank that small will be a tight squeeze because you don't have a lot of floor space. I have one set up with a water feature in it, a large piece of mopani wood set in the back wall of great stuff. The pump for it is external though, I had bulkheads put in the back. Your water height is limited by where the holes are in the front, if it goes that high it'll dribble out the holes. Watch it when you mist, the water level will go up every time you mist. You must have glass cut to cover the screen top in order to get the high humidity you need. I crack mine slightly by laying a pen under one side so the front glass won't fog. If your water feature isn't contained somehow to one area it will soak the substrate, keep that in mind when planting.

Darts like hiding in leaf litter, you can't put a whole lot in if the water feature is too large. I don't like leaf litter so I just cram twice as many plants as humanly possible in there. The rule of thumb is 3 bromeliads for every dart frog. I managed to put 2 gigantic broms in mine (1 high 1 low) and then shoved 3 more mini neo broms in the gs background. That's not counting the 2 orchids, 1 vine, 1 hoya, 1 ivy, and a pothos like plant in forget the name of and the 2 water plants I put in the pool at the bottom. If the frogs can't hide in all that they're just going to have to stick to the glass.

If you set the background up right you can put a lot into a 12x12x18 but I had mine made by a local very experienced viv builder. I don't have the tools to drill the glass and I'm all about the gs mess in his garage and not mine.

Vitamin supplements, very important for darts.
    Reptical
    Herpavite
    Repashy Calcium ICB
    Repashy Superpig (twice a month)
    Vitamin A (human grade, dry, from Amazon.com) twice a month

The first three I use everyday that I'm not using the last two, 1:1:1
    The last 2 are for coloration and vitamin a which most dart frogs have a serious lack of. There's warnings of overdosing them on vitamin a, that's why they are only once a week. I feed the vitamin a and superpig on alternating weeks. The schedule depends on you, everybody is slightly different. Almost everyone uses the first 2, not everybody is enlightened to the vitamin a. I add the ICB because it's sweet, the frogs love it.
    Haha I think I'll just stick with misting, I'm not advanced enough for waterfall. Do you mix all three suppliments into your springtails/fruit flys and feed at once? The repashy super pig, and vitamin A do you mix together every 15 days and put on your fruit flys/ Spring tails?

I really appreciate all your help, it's really helping me,
    Brenden

Paysons Darts

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    If you do get the Petsmart terrarium, remember to seal it appropriately to keep in the humidity.
    I do plan to seal it up, I'm buying glass for the top of the tank. I've heard that under the opening of the cage that there are holes that need to be filled, I'm not sure how to do that.

Thanks for all the help from all of you,
    Brenden

MichelleSG

Quote Originally Posted by Paysons Darts View Post
    I do plan to seal it up, I'm buying glass for the top of the tank. I've heard that under the opening of the cage that there are holes that need to be filled, I'm not sure how to do that.

Thanks for all the help from all of you,
    Brenden
    Tape on the outside of the holes. Or you can just pile up the substrate to that level. My water feature has a return there so the bottom in front is a foam fliter that comes up that high. Water features can be a beotch though. I woke one morning at 3 am to the filter screaming (literally, very horrid sound) because the water level wasn't sufficient for it.

Paysons Darts

Tape on the outside of the holes. Or you can just pile up the substrate to that level. My water feature has a return there so the bottom in front is a foam fliter that comes up that high. Water features can be a beotch though. I woke one morning at 3 am to the filter screaming (literally, very horrid sound) because the water level wasn't sufficient for it.
    Haha! I will tape the holes and buy the glass somtime soon. I just looked up all of the supplements you showed me, I can only find herpative and reptical, should I buy reptical with d3 or without? I cant find the other three supplements online.

MichelleSG

Quote Originally Posted by Paysons Darts View Post
    Haha I think I'll just stick with misting, I'm not advanced enough for waterfall. Do you mix all three suppliments into your springtails/fruit flys and feed at once? The repashy super pig, and vitamin A do you mix together every 15 days and put on your fruit flys/ Spring tails?

I really appreciate all your help, it's really helping me,
    Brenden
    Don't bother with the waterfall for your first dart tank, try it for your second or third.

Springtails are not dusted. They are placed in the substrate and allowed to grow there and eat the rotting vegetation and be eaten as snacks by the thumbs.
    You dust the fruit flies as follows
    Almost every feeding with a 1:1:1 mix of herpavite/reptical/Repashy ICB (the Repashy is optional, I like it though)
    Once every other week dust with only superpig
    Once every other week dust with only dry vitamin a supplement (on the week you don't dust with Superpig)
    That way once a week they get vitamin a but they get their regular all around vitamins and calcium most of the time.

Paysons Darts

I looked online for superpig and vitiman A, I found Vitiman A but it was a gell pill for humans.

Thanks,
    Brenden

MichelleSG

Check on Amazon. It's called Solaray. I get my Repashy supplements from a local gecko breeder. I think Josh's Frogs carries it along with all the other supplements. I don't normally buy from Josh's because I use an iPad and iPhone and his website doesn't support mobile Safari so I use some other vendors. If you can't find what you're looking for from him let me know and I'll give you other vendors addys.

Paysons Darts

Check on Amazon. It's called Solaray. I get my Repashy supplements from a local gecko breeder. I think Josh's Frogs carries it along with all the other supplements. I don't normally buy from Josh's because I use an iPad and iPhone and his website doesn't support mobile Safari so I use some other vendors. If you can't find what you're looking for from him let me know and I'll give you other vendors addys.
    This is all I could find, it's a pill? Is this right or am I just not finding it? The vitiman A.

Thanks,
    Brenden

http://www.amazon.com/Solaray-Vitami...5250280&sr=8-1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information