Thread: Filter or no filter?

Default Filter or no filter?

I am planning on buying some African Clawed frogs in the near future and have learned that they do not like a strong current. What I can't find is a solid answer on whether filters are completely wrong for them or are a-okay as long as the current is low. I was planning on getting a hang on back type filter with an adjustable flow and would aim it at a tank wall as best I could. If that didn't work by itself I might find some other way to help diffuse the flow. However I also heard that simply the noise from the filter can cause stress for the frogs. So I am not sure what to do.

Do you have any filter suggestions? and if you do not suggest any filter be used how often should I change the tank water and how much of the water should be changed? I will be using a 20 gallon long tank and plan on having three frogs in it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jace

Default Re: Filter or no filter?

When I had my three, I used a filter and kept it on the lowest setting possible. My frogs never seemed overly stressed and even hung out around the filter occassionally. These frogs can be very messy, in terms of producing waste and eating habits, so either way, whether you use a filter or not, water changes will be required. Even with a filter, I did partial water changes a couple of times a week. Once you get into the rhythm, it is not that much work and the enjoyment of watching them and hearing them will be worth the effort. It's been a few years since I've had to deal with filters, so I am no longer familiar with what would be the best one anymore. However, there are several other members on this Forum who currently have ACFs who will be more than willing to help you in that area. Have you picked out any names yet?

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

In my 72 gallon ACF tank I have a filter for 100 gallons, and I do not modify the outflow at all, I just point it towards a wall. They have no problems whatsoever with a strong filter as long as they current is no so strong as to be able to move them around. They are exceptionally messy critters and not having a filter would mean a very very dirty tank even with frequent water changes

Alright, that's good, I was worried as I'd read a site saying no filter at all and daily water changes are the only way to go, and that sounds like a pain. I could easily do once a week, but I'd rather not do everyday. Though I'm sure it'll be easier than doing my 55 gallon fish tank at home.

Oh and with your filters, did any of you use sand? I've heard they can clog your filter with the sand and that's what I planned on using. Do you think I'd be better with large stones?

And nope, no names yet. I'm gonna wait until I get them...when can you tell their sex? I can find plenty of info on HOW to tell, but not at what age. I'm heading to Petsmart on Sunday to get a tank, filter, dechlorinator, thermometer, etc. It's always exciting getting a new pet.

Jace

I would not recommend sand. In fact, I used no substrate at all with mine. They are rather comical eaters-they take their front legs and shovel as much as they can into their mouths...and that can include things other than food. I lost one to impaction as I had aquarium gravel and it ended up eating that as well as the food. So, before I got any others, I removed all substarte, and my three lived for years. However, that is just my personal experience. Because they are so messy, I tried to keep my tank as simple as possible so to allow the filter to work its magic and for doing the water changes as needed.

I'm not sure when they become sexual mature and can be sexed. Once they reach maturity, they are very easy to tell apart, but until then....someone else might have a better idea.

Hmmm, I heard sand was too fine to cause impaction but I don't want to risk it. I want to use some sort of substrate though, I want it to look as nice as possible. I could use stones too big to eat, my only fear is that it would be harder to clean than sand....guess it would depend on the size of the stones.

Nationality
    [United States]

around 8 months of age they become large enough that you can begin seeing the females cloaca growing.... it will look like a little tail on her rear end.

between 8-12 months the males will develop their nuptial pads, also called dirty hands...this is when their forearms and hands darken.

I have used sand, small/large river rock and gravel with my acf.

the trick is to either get something so large that they cannot swallow it...or something tinier than a pea so they can pass it.

Word of caution with large river rocks - - a poorly timed kick can send a rock slamming into a wall...forceful enough to even crack your aquarium glass

Word of caution with large river rocks - - a poorly timed kick can send a rock slamming into a wall...forceful enough to even crack your aquarium glass
    Well that's no good *sigh*. I don't want to hurt them but I really don't want bare bottom. Do you have a personal preferance as far as substrate? When you use sand do you witness them eating large amounts?
    I read about pool filter sand being used for fish because it's less able to damage filters plus requires less rinsing than playsand. Do you have any opinions on that type of sand?
    How big across would rocks have to be so that an adult can't eat them?

Thank you for the sexing info, now the questions will be whether or not to hold off on naming until they're old enough to sex or to find some names that could apply to either sex.

Nationality
    [United States]

I have used pool filter sand with no problems - however, I had adjusted the intake valve on my filter to be a good 3 inches above the sand. So even in play the kicked up sand didn't make it up to my intake valve.

For rocks, I use a small pebble like substrate in my 72 gallon with no problems at all - -it looks great, poses no damage to my glass, and if swallowed (hasn't happened yet with 8 frogs) it is smaller than a pea so can be passed.

I use filter sand in my ten gallons with my juveniles just for a different look from my main tank...mostly because I like my main tank to look like a section of pond that was placed in my bedroom lol....rocks, driftwood, plants etc

Nationality
    [United States]

and as for naming, I have always held off until I can determine their sex

a) so I don't get accustomed to calling a male frog "Lola"
    b) my juveniles are raised in a different tank from my main tank...once they are large enough to sex they are large enough to be introduced into my colony...so I use it as like a graduation day...new name and new tank all in one!

Grrr....went to petsmart at 6:30 only to find out is closes at 6. I went to walmart and could get some fake plants, water conditioner, reptomin, and a thermometer. The only filters they had didn't have any flow control so I passed. Guess I have to figure out public transportation lol because I really want that tank this week so I can start cycling. Walmart actually had 20 gallon tank but they were standards, another pass.

Anyway I think I'll go with the filter sand, I like the color better than regular play sand and it sounds like it's cleaner and rinsing is gonna be difficult in the dorm's bathroom sink/shower so the less rinsing the better.

Oh, just a question for you Jenste, if they breed I shouldn't raise any right? They are too closely related?

Nationality
    [United States]

If you got them from same petstore at the same time they are probably siblings.

I have made a point to buy my 8 adults from 6 different sources at different times. I always had a desire to breed ACF so I made sure to limit the constraints on my gene pool.

Oh, haha I forgot you don't know who I am lol. I'm 55gal on the fish forum, I'm getting your frogs.

Nationality
    [United States]

LMAOOO

too funny! omg yea with the different screen name I had no clue!!

yes siblings should NOT be bred...but since I keep track of who is the parent of who...I will have non-related froglets probably in early sping/late winter. The only male I have old enough is Phantom (the daddy of the 3 you are getting) so any of his kids would be half siblings...not bad if you choose one of those but not as good as unrelated.

I will try getting a new picture on one of the forums in the next day or so, as close up as I can of each froglet so you can pick your three. (all others have payments pending or and since you are taking three and were one of the first who committed I feel comfortable giving you picks)

oh I wasn't planing on breeding, my roommate was just like "I want one of their babies because I don't want to pay for shipping" and when I told her I was letting them eat any eggs they laid she was bummed lol. So I just wanted to be sure, I don't want to bring any sickly frogs into the world.

I can't wait to see the pics!! I'm so excited for the frogs, people probably think I'm strange. Oh and I should probably be done setting up paypal today, I need my mom to check my account and tell me, so some time after 3 today I should know and hopefully be able to send you the money.

Nationality
    [United States]

No problem!! I am beyond thrilled that I will be able to follow their growth together! My fiance is becoming a little *too* attached to them I will most likely get the better pics this evening or tomorrow morning. some of their spots are really starting to show! I feel like a proud mama lol

keep working on your roommate! once these babies have gone to their new homes I will breed again... most likely another pairing of my marbled male and an albino female... I have a couple males who are reaching sexual maturity but I prefer to wait until they are nearly full grown for their health

I bought everything yesterday. I've got to say that living on the thid floor stinks lol. It's all set up though, looks real pretty. I tried to get pool filter sand at Lowes, the people there looked at my like I was insane so I ended up with playsand which is good enough. The filter is up and running and I started cycling today, so hopefully two weeks or so and I can have some frogs in there!!

As far as my roomate goes, she might be considering some african dwarf frogs. She said she'll see how she likes my frogs and then decide.

Thread Information