Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toad Basics - Keeping ground-dwelling Toads. A care sheet for Bufo, Anaxyrus, Spea, Scaphiopus, Ollotis, Alytes, Pelobates

Kurt

Default Re: Toad Basics - Keeping ground-dwelling Toads. A care sheet for Bufo, Anaxyrus, Spea, Scaphiopus, Ollotis, Alytes, Pelobates

Show him a picture of a treefrog, then show him a mirror. Let him know he's a toad and not a treefrog.

Seriuosly, a place to hide within the enclosure, will make him feel safer and less likely to scale the walls.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

kellie

Default Re: Toad Basics - Keeping ground-dwelling Toads. A care sheet for Bufo, Anaxyrus, Spea, Scaphiopus, Ollotis, Alytes, Pelobates

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Show him a picture of a treefrog, then show him a mirror. Let him know he's a toad and not a treefrog.

Seriuosly, a place to hide within the enclosure, will make him feel safer and less likely to scale the walls.
    i'll try both suggestions and let you know which i have more success with.

kesh42

ello fellow repti/anphi lovers,

I am looking for advice... I recently(5/25/2010) bought a Bufo Alvarius juvenile(about 4 inches) online, today i woke up to him having passed away, floating in his water bowl... He lived in a 30 gallon terrarium with a repti-bark substrate, a water bowl, a heating pad, and a ceramic heat emitter(60w). I fed him only gut loaded, vitamin dusted crickets. Although I never actually saw him eat, I know crickets where disappearing. I am trying to figure out what went wrong, or what I might have done to hurt his chances of survival.. I am procuring another one, and have read all the care sheets over and over, please if you have any information you think will help please don't hesitate to let me know! Thank you all

Keshava

Please don't post your e-mail address in the open forum.

JB you will be VERY missed...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Kurt; July 17th, 2010 at 12:39 AM.

kellie

i can only guess, but considering you found him "floating in his water bowl", the only think that makes sense is that he drowned. either the water was too deep or once he was in the water bowl, the walls of it were too tall for him to climb out. next try putting a hermit crab sponge or something else up against the side to help the toadie escape. they also sell special water bowls for hermit crabs that have a stairway type side which might help. sorry for your loss .. i just lost a little american toad last night.

Quote Originally Posted by kesh42 View Post
    ello fellow repti/anphi lovers,

I am looking for advice... I recently(5/25/2010) bought a Bufo Alvarius juvenile(about 4 inches) online, today i woke up to him having passed away, floating in his water bowl... He lived in a 30 gallon terrarium with a repti-bark substrate, a water bowl, a heating pad, and a ceramic heat emitter(60w). I fed him only gut loaded, vitamin dusted crickets. Although I never actually saw him eat, I know crickets where disappearing. I am trying to figure out what went wrong, or what I might have done to hurt his chances of survival.. I am procuring another one, and have read all the care sheets over and over, please if you have any information you think will help please don't hesitate to let me know! Thank you all

Keshava

JB you will be VERY missed...
    Last edited by Kurt; July 17th, 2010 at 12:39 AM.

Kurt

The fact you didn't see him eat is kind of a red flag. I also think the bark was a poor choice of substrate for this species. Its possible there may have been an impaction from it.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Please start your own threads for discussions like this. These comments are supposed to be about the care article posted here.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Greatballzofire

This is a good care sheet.
    I have only one thing to add; I do give my toads the option to have sunlight. They are in a kiddies wading pool with a mesh screen cover so it wont build up heat like a glass tank, or other container with less surface area. They have the option of shade as well. The toads like to catch the morning rays while sitting on their log hides or soaking in their water bowl. In the wild they would be enjoying sun, so I try to duplicate as much as possible what they would have in the wild. I have an indoor outdoor thermometer in the pool to monitor the temps. The sun also helps keep the substrate from getting too dank on top. The sun they get on my porch is muted by garden shade cloth, so it is not a direct solar blast, but does provide some uv.

soapiedish

Hello and thank you for the article, "Toad Basics." I have three toadlets, about the size of nickel. I believe they're California Toads. My daughter and I had about 150 tadpoles this year and successfully raised them to toadlets. We kept the last six of them to see if we could raise them to adulthood. We lost three out of the six and are trying very hard to provide a good quality habitat for them. We have ten acres and have seen numerous adult toads and have identified them as California Toads. Although we did end up with 9 tree frogs and successfully released 7 of them we did not see anyother species within our tadpoles. Anyway, just thought I'd say hi, and let you know our story...I'll provide some photos soon. See ya!

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Soapie, please start your own thread if you post photos.

Jace

In this care article, it states that toads usually have a hard time eating earthworms, but on another site for Western toads, it says earthworms are a staple for this species. Does it depend on the species, then? Would red wrigglers be better? I want to provide a varied diet for my Western toad. Thanks.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

It depends on the kind of toad. Those from more temperate climates are more likely to "know" how to eat an earthworm. Others have to learn to do it.

bbobunny

I built a pond in my front yard and over the course of about a year would sit out there and feed the little brown potato bugs to the toads. At first I would just toss them in their direction, over time, the toads would actually come over to me and I could just almost hand feed them. It is most awesome.
    Also, they would "sing" away as they stayed active in the pond during mating season. It is very interesting how you can "sing" to them and so help me they will "sing" right back.
    You ought to see the amount of eggs they can lay in a single night. WOW
    They really are amazing little characters

topcrop1

hello! i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how to safely clean and sanitize an egyptian frogs tank?!

Quote Originally Posted by topcrop1 View Post
    hello! i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how to safely clean and sanitize an egyptian frogs tank?!
    That's an easy one. What I do is I take apart the terrarium(take out the dirt/ornaments/plants/etc) and I fill it up with hot boiling water let it soak for a bit(before that I do a quick wipe down to get large bits of dirt/dust/poop/etc) and I topple it over and let the water run into the grass(probably hurts the grass but idc for the grass lolz) then I get a clean rag and I wipe it down completely then I fill it up again with boiling hot water and this time I put in some white distilled vinegar.

Some people say to use a pinch. I being the king of over kill I tend to use half a gallon of white distilled vinegar(Iam paranoid about infections and such--- so to let my mind at ease). Then I rinse it out 2-3 times to make sure the vinegar isn't there anymore(if you can't smell it, its not there). Vinegar is completely safe as it's just acidic. It kills bacteria but if washed off even if a little bit of it is there is not going to hurt them at all.

They sell sanitation wipes for reptile tanks. But I think its a major rip off.

Boiling water and vinegar are the best disinfectants you can use.

Imagg4ever

Hello, I just recently moved into my newly built home which has a egress window in the basement. I recently within the last month noticed approximately 9 small toads from the size of my baby fingernail to the size of my thumb. I would like to keep them or should I let them go. If I can keep them how do I care for them and do they carry germs, can I pick them up, what should I feed them, and should I leave them in the egress area...it has nothing but small rocks. it gets wet from the water sprinklers and they climb the window screen but then fall down when they reach the top where the aluminum wall is...thanks

Inquisitive

Hi there: I'm a new member here, but we have had a toad the entire spring, summer and going into the winter. He is in an extra bathtub and he has an oasis with a little water, and lots of hiding spaces....He is a fat toad, he shed his skin and has been a very happy toad.. He loves to be petted and rides around in toy cars, lol....Anyway, we got him a reptile heating pad, wrapped it in two towels and it's not real warm, but he has stayed in the other end of the bathtub in the water ever since I put the pad in. Do the frog/toads not need heat for winter??

margrick

Thank you for this basic intro to toad care. While out for a walk this morning I found an injured toad (Western) and wasn't sure where to start as far as appropriate container, substrate, etc. As you can see from the photo it has a small defect in the left mandible.
    Name:  photo (8).jpg
Views: 1544
Size:  57.4 KB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information