Circuit advertisement

pixiefrogman

Default Re: Baby pixies eating Crickets

Awesome videos! Great looking babies!

Malachi

Jeff Kennedy

Greeeeeaaaaaattttttt looking babies if I do say so myself (wink, wink). Don't you just love how they already have that adult Pyxie aggressiveness?

Malachi

YouTube - pixie eats worm (African bullfrog)

10 days later and double the size on this guy, the other 2 are a little smaller

Kevin1

Definitely looks like a young male.

8. This member thanks Kevin1 for this post:

yeah good jab malachi they look like theyre eating well
    African Bullfrogs, Clawed Frogs, Salamanders, Newts, Bearded Dragons,

Malachi

yeah I am feeding them once a day, seems to working out.

Jeff Kennedy

Malachi and anyone else, you HAVE to get a dubia roach colony. We are wrapping up the first full month of our Pyxie Project and we are already seeing a drastic difference in the size of the specimens that are eating dubia and the ones whom are eating more crickets and worms then dubia. Each specimen is given the opportunity in the feeding bin and we try to encourage dubia because they are sooooooo nutritious but some just don't care for them as much as others. All of this will be on the blog in a week or so as right now we are still measuring and compiling data but the dubia factoid is easy to see. Ones that eat more dubia are much larger then the ones that don't. Start 'em young guys if you want to grow monsters!!!

Malachi

Any tips on how to start/raise roaches?

Jeff Kennedy

Dubia are the "feeder freedom" roaches!!! You basically buy some adults, create the right temps and environment and within a couple of months you have a colony. You of course can't feed out of this starter colony until you are actually producing nymphs. I am currently producing about 4,000 babies a month in my colony however I have spent more on roaches to get this thing going then most would care to know. It is worth it now because I have a bunch of Pyxies with some big appetites for dubia!!!

John911

with as many crickets as i lose in the house, i am very hesitant to try roaches lol.

jelkins

Crayfish...Good food for growth.

onedge30

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kennedy View Post
    Malachi and anyone else, you HAVE to get a dubia roach colony. We are wrapping up the first full month of our Pyxie Project and we are already seeing a drastic difference in the size of the specimens that are eating dubia and the ones whom are eating more crickets and worms then dubia. Each specimen is given the opportunity in the feeding bin and we try to encourage dubia because they are sooooooo nutritious but some just don't care for them as much as others. All of this will be on the blog in a week or so as right now we are still measuring and compiling data but the dubia factoid is easy to see. Ones that eat more dubia are much larger then the ones that don't. Start 'em young guys if you want to grow monsters!!!
    I would love to get a colony of roaches going. BIG problem, my state will not allow it. I will have to find another source for feeders. Especially with thinking of breeding in the spring.

Jeff Kennedy

That sucks for you Jeff. Is it FL I presume?? You guys will see when we update the blog in a week or so just how staggering the size difference is between the Pyxies that fed heavy on dubia as opposed to the ones that favored crickets and worms. It's eye opening. We have a couple, that are just break-out huge in comparison with the rest of the group. Good stuff. Makes it worth all the long hours that we put in on them!

Kevin1

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Any tips on how to start/raise roaches?
    Heat 'um and feed 'um..lol It's that simple with dubia.

I've kept Turkistans, Dubias, and Lobsters, My favorite were dubias. I should warn anyone interested in dubias about a rare case of allergies. Some people very seldomly have allergies to these roaches. I was one of the unfortunate few. As my colony grew it went from a sneeze or two to itching, watering eyes, constant sneezing, and even just congestion, to the point of having to be put on an inhaler. This scenario is rare, but possible. I still highly recommend them, they're the favorite species of roach I've worked with thus far. Due to the allergies though, I just can't keep them.

Malachi

biggest male

smalles male?

female

update on my 3 frogs

Jeff Kennedy

Looking good son, looking good. How big is the big boy??

Malachi

3.5ish

Thread Information