Thread: I Did it!!

froggiez

Default I Did it!!

Well I decided to take my chances today and bought a 10 gal tank and some sealant and combined them together to make my 10 gal into a 20 gal...I know some of you are thinking why not just buy a 20 gal...well I didn't have the money to spend on a 20 gal set up then buy an additional screen lid that would fit good enough to make it vertical...so I spent 15 $$ for the 10 gal and silicone to seal them together. It took me a half day to get it done
    I took a side off the new 10 gal first of course removing the trim then taking a razor to cut through the seal enough to fit a guitar string through..(hubby plays so guitar strings are easy to find here...lol.) and just pulled the string through the edges til I could remove the glass...unfortunately the bottom glass did crack so there was no saving that as I planned on but oh well live and learn! then put the trim back on (didn't feel like taking the risk of removing trim off old setup) and sealed them together...now I don't think it may be water tight but wasn't planning on have a false bottom or anything, I just have a couple water dishes (glass ashtrays) for them to bath in
    I think they like it, finally got to put them back in and they took a while to check it out before finding their usual sleep spots for the day
    Here is a pic
    I will be cleaning up the silicone on the trim later

Before

After

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: I Did it!!

Looks good to me.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

froggiez

Thank you...btw I quit smoking about 2 yrs ago so I am thrilled to find a new use for those ashtrays...lol

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Its great that you quit, must have took a lot of courage. And that tank looks nice, where do you get access to it?

brnbear

Hmm....I like it haha maybe I will try something like that due to my limited budget haha.

froggiez

On the left side it is a screen door that latches, I use rubber matting along the inner edges of the trim so it fits more snug and secure since I have the tanks vertical.
    I also use a piece of bark that fits along the bottom side to keep the soil from falling out when I open the door

Thank you on the kudos for quitting...the cravings unfortunately are still there but I smash them daily...it was fear that motivated me since I had to have biopsy done on my gums cuz there were white patches that were pre cancerous and since I have my little princess who was a year old at the time I wanted to be around for her for as long as I could. was hard since I had smoked for about 20 yrs. but I did it thanks to God for the help

brnbear

Just stay strong with the non smoking thing. My mom smoked for 30 years and quit 3 years ago and her life has improved so wonderfully. Just stay strong, and I think its a really cool thing that you have converted your ash trays into pools for your froggies, it gives you more motivation to stay away from smoking because then you would have to buy them new pools!!

froggiez

I feel the difference as well... although I had to up my exercise routine since my metabolism went poof once I quit, but would rather have a few extra lbs than to have cancer Good for your mom as well!
    as for the ashtrays they work pretty good, both mr and mrs gray always sit in them at least once a day..lol

froggiez

oh btw if you go to do this no need to buy the big sized silicone bottle that requires a caulking gun, I just used the 1 oz tube and it was plenty!

pixiefrogman

Wow, looks great!

Thread Information