Thread: HI EVERYONE! just intro'n myself

rachel

Talking HI EVERYONE! just intro'n myself

My name is rachel and i am a new frog owner. i have two frogs. one i have no idea what he is but he became my first frog a couple months ago, his name is mr. johnny dazzles. a few days ago i purchased a white's dumpy tree frog, whom we named jorge, and i absolutely love him. came across this site when i was looking up info on my new frog and it seems like a good place.

rachel

Default Re: HI EVERYONE! just intro'n myself

these are my babies!!!

mr. dazzles up front and jorge in the back...they have completely different personalities

jorge all alone

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi there Rachel and welcome to the forum. You certainly have come to the right place to get the help and information you need. I would suggest you select your country in your profile as it will help us to help you.

Your frogs look lovely and they also have a lovely home.. Unfortunately you have two different species housed together. This is not a good idea as they can secret toxins that will be harmful to each other. You will have to separate them sorry. I would also suggest either covering the small stones or taking them out as they can be accidentally swallowed which can course serious problems.

Im not sure what species Mr Dazzles is..maybe a Grays tree frog. Do you think you could get another photo for us.

Paul Rust

Welcome to FrogForum Rachel. I agree with Ebony, seperate them into different habitats. My guess is Mr. Dazzles looks like an American Toad (Bufo.americanus)

Nationality
    [United States]

Welcome Rachel. It's a pleasure to have you here. I'm not the best at large frog ID, but I was thinking that Mr. Dazzles is some kind of toad. Jorge is a handsome fellow.

I agree with Ebony, there is a risk housing different species together. My youngest son has a viv that he likes to put local stuff in and we've had a couple of unfortunate incidences where frogs/toads have tried eating one another and we've had some simply disappear - probably a toxin issue. Ebony also makes a good point about the pebbles. If they get one of those in their stomach it can cause a fatal case of impaction.

Let us know what part of the world you live and if you could get a close up of Mr. Dazzles, I'm sure someone can quickly idenfiy it.
    I used to think that I had to understand in order to believe, then I realized that I must believe in order to understand - Augustine

rachel

thanks for the welcome everyone! When I got Jorge I was concerned about mixing species but after consulting someone they said the two would be ok together that I just needed to make sure when fed to put them in separate areas due to one eating more than the other. I wasn't aware of the gravel thing until last night, which was just temporary anyway. It has already been replaced with coconut bark.

The two are actually starting to grow on each other. It's kind of cute watching them sleep together lol. Soon as I get a better picture of Mr. Dazzles I will post it.

Oh I feel the need to say how I picked their names. Both come from movies. The day we got Mr. Dazzles I seen the movie "Meet Dave" and there was a guy who called himself Johnny Dazzles. My boyfriends name is also Johnny lol. Jorge came from the movie "Blow". It's one of my favorite but I don't care much for the name George as a pet name, so we took the Spanish route and went with Jorge.

redeyedboy25

HI rachel nice to meet you I am a new member too cool dumpys i am about to get some red eyd tree frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

I would separate the two because of parasites, differences in needs and toxins.

brnbear

Hello rachel!! I understand you saying about being told that your two frogs can be kept together, you may just want to be careful for that because both froggys secrete different toxins from their bodies and absorb through their bodies too, meaning one may get toxins from the other that while are harmless and natural to the one, may be very harmful to the other. None of us here are going to pressure you to do anything, however we feel it is our duty to make sure each owner is aware of how to best maintain and keep their frogs healthy and happy. I hope you take our advice into consideration. And I hope both of your froggys stay healthy

Thread Information