Thread: Plant Suggestions

Default Plant Suggestions

I'm redoing all my tanks. I'm pretty excited. I have just enough money to buy everything I want and have them looking pretty nice and full.So let me know what you think:

Medium Exo-Terra White's tank:I'm thinking of forgetting the water area and rocks I had before and returning to just soil. I am thinking pillow moss, a bromeliad, and possibly an orchid. The orchid I had before was doing fine, until I kept forgetting to turn on the light. But now it's on a timer and I think it'll work. I might put a pothos, but I'm unsure. Do they grow from cuttings? I'm afraid the White's might destroy it. Any other suggestions?

10 gallon standard Malaysian leaf frog: I think pillow moss wouldn't work, since he requires higher humidity. So I think I'm just going to cover the soil in leaves again. I like the look. I have white and gold ribbons and they do well, since they are semi-aquatic. I may put another live plant in there...any suggestions? I do have some vine plant that can grow in just water and I may use that.

Small Exo-Terra (12x12x18) Golden Tree frog tank: I think in this tank I'm not going to use any real plants, except maybe pillow moss.

Small Exo-Terra (12x12x12) Gray Tree frog tank: All I have for this tank is a 15 watt, mostly just to have light on it. It's very close to furniture, and I was fearful of using a high watt bulb. Are there any plants that would grow well in these conditions in a terrarium?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Plant Suggestions

Pothos, for all of them, its durable, my full sized Malaysian leaf frog cannot damage it, and he loves it. And why not pillow moss for the high humidity of the Leaf frog tank? and for the Grays why did you not use a higher watt bulb? you could use a flouresent and not produce heat. Pothos does grows well from cuttings. Can be bought everywhere, Supermarkets or Home Depot

Broms would also work for all except the Leaf frog for the most part, though these are not as commonly available and you will have to go to a greenhouse or buy online.

bshmerlie

I agree with Tom. Pothos works well with all tree frogs. If you're worried about them supporting the weight of your frogs get a full size pothos and trim it to the size you want that way it has thicker vines and wider leaves. They grow very fast and when I didn't have a timer and forgot to turn on the light all the time it never died. Broms you can order online and they aren't that expensive.

Tom: I wasn't sure if the pillow moss would grow in a tank with so much humidity. As far as bromeliads go, my White's tank is the only one big enough to have such a large plant in it. I don't think I could put them in the others. In the gray tree frog tank, I have to use a clamp light. There's no room to put a hood on top of it. So I just got a 15 watt reptile bulb.

Cheri: I may do that with the pothos. My two pothos are pretty large.

Nationality
    [United States]

If you trim the Pothos save the trimmings to grow new ones. There are small broms, like 4 inches in diameter, I cannot remember the name though and you could trim them to keep them small. Also on the Grays there are hoods made for those, i have one on mine.

I wasn't clear enoug. I have an endtable. On the top of the endtable is the golden tree frog. On the bottom shelf is the gray tree frog. There's perhaps an inch between the top of the tank and the shelf the golden tree frog is on.

Anyone have a suggestion of a good place to get a small brom?

Nationality
    [United States]

Safeway, Kingsoopers, Home Depot

lnaminneci

Quote Originally Posted by 1beataway View Post
    Anyone have a suggestion of a good place to get a small brom?
    Yep, I got mine at Home Depot, my Brom and all the plants that are in my terrarium. As well as the river rocks, clayballs, and mesh. And on Sale!

Here are the plants I use and have success with and the ones Iam going to use:
    -Ferns(I use it)
    -Phelodendruns(best tropical plants, nice colors, nice "vines" and pretty much durable and hardy) I have one
    -Pothos(nice color, very durable, very good plant to have)
    -Moss(Idk what species mine is but it looks somewhat like a bush and its 5inches tall and quite long. It provides shelter for the crickets. In any case these are good for terrariums)

-Snakeplant(strong durable and nice looking)
    -Arrowhead(strong durable and nice looking- although Iam not sure if its the arrow head that has very thick leaves or if its the snake plant. I mean your fattest frog could hang on the leaf and it wont bend)
    -Ivy(I have one and you cant go wrong with ivy, its a runner but can be attached to the background and the part that is on the floor can be used as a hide out for the frog.)

Try hardy, strong leafed plants for larger animals. Good luck, make sure to not over water or underwater. Just put your finger in the soil, if it feels damp but not drenched or overly wet then you should skip the misting.
    Make sure you give the plants a plant light. They need it. Make sure if you keep em in a pot you cut off 1- 1/2 of the bottom(where the holes are) or the plant will form rings around the pot and die out. Make sure there is some drainage. You can use 2-3inches deep of gravel or hydroballs and then you put a layer of mesh to keep the dirt and the hydroballs seperate. Dont over plant the tank in most cases cause the plants roots may out grow the tank eventually(5years if its small).

So I decided to order from Black Jungle (I think). Here is my list. Tell me what you think!

White's:
    Rhipsalis
    Cryptanthus 'Black Mystic'
    Victoria Bird's Nest Fern
    Cryptanthus marginatus
    Dragon's Tail Fern - Asplenium x ebenoides
    Live Tropical Moss

Malaysian Leaf Frog:
    Azolla caroliniana
    Philodendron Wend Imbe
    Asplenium bulbiferum

Golden Tree Frog:
    Live Tropical moss
    Maybe Pothos

Gray Tree Frog:
    Live Tropical moss
    Suggestions from the Black Jungle site? Something small that is low light.

Kurt

Bird's nest ferns get huge. I have a fake one from Zoo Med, because the real one would out grow the tank. I would call Black Jungle and talk to Richard about the plants. He knows a lot more about plants then I will ever know.

Noted. I assume the others won't work either.

Thread Information