Thread: Hi, excited about frogs! I actually have one and don't know what kind it is!

gin77

Default Hi, excited about frogs! I actually have one and don't know what kind it is!

So I am very excited to be part of this forum and would really like to know what kind of tree frog i have. I think it is a girl, and she has BIG eyes, smooth skin and turns different shades of brown. The pet store told me she was some kind of florida tree frog but have had no luck on finding any pictures like her on the net. I got her for $3 because she was skinny and sick looking,She now looks much better and eats very good. Unfortunatly I am trying my best to care for her buy it is hard not knowing what kind she is. Any help would be appreciated!

Jace

Default Re: Hi, excited about frogs! I actually have one and don't know what kind it is!

Welcome to the Forum! Would you be able to post a picture of your frog? That way we can make a positive I.D. and give you the correct advice on proper care. Great to hear that she is eating and gaining back weight-good job!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hi, excited about frogs! I actually have one and don't know what kind it is!

There are quite a few tree frog species down here in Florida that could have brown coloration. If it is 3 inches or more in length and has unusually large toe pads, it's probably a Cuban Tree Frog, which is considered an invasive species in Florida because it competes with, and eats, the native tree frogs. However, as a pet, they are pretty cool frogs. But, they don't have really smooth skin. Here's a link to a photo:

http://clearwaterdailyphoto.blogspot...-frog-has.html

Here is a site that shows all the Florida native frogs:

http://www.wec.ufl.edu/extension/wil..._femoralis.php

Common tree frogs that are predominantly brown include the Pinewoods tree frog, Squirrel tree frog, and the Barking tree frog.

I hope this helps. If you post a photo, many folks on here can ID it for you.
    I used to think that I had to understand in order to believe, then I realized that I must believe in order to understand - Augustine

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi there and welcome to the forum

gin77

Here are some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

bshmerlie

That is a very cool looking frog you have there. What is her name? Oh and welcome to the Forum.

SethD

well it is definitely not a Florida frog, it looks more like Leptopelis vermiculatus which originates in Tanzania. It is a pretty common pet trade species at this point in time.

8. This member thanks SethD for this post:

gin77

Hi, and thanks, Her name is Stumpy, my 7 year old daughter named her that because when she sleeps she looks like a piece of wood.

Thread Information