Thread: How do I care for frog found on supermarket floor?

sleepypossum

Default How do I care for frog found on supermarket floor?

Hi there! Just came home from the shops(9pm at night) with a little green frog I found on the floor in the fruit and veg area of my local Woolworths store. Not sure how to care for it. I have a pond but not sure if too cold! It is about 10 oC at night here at the moment. It is not very active, eyes half shut. feet look dry/brown. it is about 50mm long head to tail. He/she does move around though..walking backwards. I really know nothing about frogs. what should I do to care for it? Poor thing!

bshmerlie

Default Re: How do I care for frog found on supermarket floor?

First, if you can post a picture so we can determine what kind of frog you have.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

If it was found with produce, then it might not be a native frog, so I most definitely would not release it. For the time being, you can put it in a large jar or small aquarium with a couple of branches and a small dish of water for it to soak in. Depending on its size, it will each small crickets or other insects.

If it has big toe pads and climbs a lot, it's likely to be some kind of tree frog (but we'll need a picture to confirm that).

We would all be delighted to help and can give you more specific help once the frog is identified, but please don't release it until you know for sure that it is a local species. There are devastating amphibian diseases wiping out entire populations of frogs worldwide, so releasing a frog even from another area within its natural range is risky because it could be a carrier of the disease.

BTW - If you use a jar, don't put the lid on. Rather, use some screen or panty hose with a rubber band to hold it in place so that it gets plenty of fresh air.
    I used to think that I had to understand in order to believe, then I realized that I must believe in order to understand - Augustine

4. This member thanks JimO for this post:

sleepypossum

well, Alfonso (named by my son ) has made it through the night. He is hiding in a small cup in a plastic box. I have put in some water in a bowl but I don't think it's very interested in having a dip! We have a hermit crab tank so have put the container on the top to keep it warm ? Don't worry, I wont put him in with the crabs.... I am trying to find out how to post a photo so you can help identify it. I believe it to be green tree frog by looking at other photos on the web but will try to find out for sure. We wont release it till we know of we can. We have Brown Striped frogs in our pond so live in a froggy environment! Thanks for your support.

Kurt

To post a photo, click on "go advanced" when responnding to a post. Once there, you will see a paper clip, you want to click on that. A new window will appear and from there you can upload pictures to your post.

sleepypossum

these are a couple of photos of Alfonso! He is perking up abit today but not sure how big the insects need to be for him to eat!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

SethD

Looks like a white lipped tree frog(Litoria infrafrenata).

lnaminneci

Quote Originally Posted by sleepypossum View Post
    these are a couple of photos of Alfonso! He is perking up abit today but not sure how big the insects need to be for him to eat!
    Awwww....Alfonso is adorable. Definately a type of Tree frog. One of the Experts here will post the exact identity shortly.
    A good rule of thumb for size of cricket/insect to feed is no larger than the frogs mouth is wide. Small/medium to medium crickets looks to be the right size for him. And crickets would be his staple diet. You can also feed flightless fruitflies, redworms, mealworms, and occasionally waxworms (since they are fatty) but would help fatten him up nicely.
    Are you planning on keeping Alfonso as a pet? There are some great articles and posts on the forum about setting up a Terrarium.

Oh, and Welome to the Forum!

~Lesley

lnaminneci

Quote Originally Posted by SethD View Post
    Looks like a white lipped tree frog(Litoria infrafrenata).
    See Seth has already identified!

Nationality
    [United States]

Great looking frog and amazingly tame. Seems like Seth nailed it. Apparently it is native to Australia and the world's largest tree frog.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/rept...edTreeFrog.php
    I used to think that I had to understand in order to believe, then I realized that I must believe in order to understand - Augustine

sleepypossum

Thanks! I think Alfonso is just in shock. Not sure how long he would have been crawling around the floor for at the supermarket...he certainly wasn't jumping when I found him..I did get a funny look from the check out lady...dont usually get customers crawling around the floor under the chillers!
    I am going to the pet shop today to find supplies. My children want to keep him as a pet but we will see. Mmmm just how big could he get?
    We live in Sydney and Alfonso probably came down from Queensland where it is warmer/more humid .I dont think we can release him here not till it warms up abit more any how..... Great to have this forum and good people to help, Thanks again everyone. Will keep you posted of Alfonso's Great Adventure!

Nationality
    [United States]

Alfonso looks slightly underfed, also with a frog that size you will need a large enclosure so he can feel safe. He will also likely want lots of cover. What are you feeding him? You might want to look at JomOs link, it has some valuable information on it, also look at the Whites Tree Frog Caresheet on this website but think bigger.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by sleepypossum View Post
    We live in Sydney and Alfonso probably came down from Queensland where it is warmer/more humid .I dont think we can release him here not till it warms up abit more any how..... Great to have this forum and good people to help, Thanks again everyone. Will keep you posted of Alfonso's Great Adventure!
    If that type of frog isn't normally found near Sydney, it shouldn't be released in that area, but it sounds like he has a good home.

15. This member thanks JimO for this post:

sleepypossum

Thanks Tom. Have bought small crickets from the pet shop this morning. Have put a few in with Alfonso...have few more feeding on "gutload" to give him tomorrow. I doubt he has had a good feed for a while poor chap! Will probably take him up to Taronga Zoo at the weekend where they can look after him properly. We dont really have the space for another tank( have hermit crabs). Mind you, am getting quite attached to him. I didn't realise they had such character.

sleepypossum

After alot of deliberation, we have decided to keep Alfonso and he is doing rather nicely in his new Terrarium. He cant seem to decide to be brown or green though and fluctuates between the two! The temp in his home is 20oC.(70f). Many thanks to you all for words of wisdom...one reason that helped us to decide to keep Alfonso is that help is only a few clicks away! See you around Frog Forum!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Jace

Congrats on deciding to keep Alfonso. I think he is going to have a great home with you and give you many years of enjoyment. Please keep us updated on him and the more pics the better!!

Thread Information