Thread: Whites tree frog in water too much?

jackdogga

Default Whites tree frog in water too much?

I dont know exactly how long he spends in the water but he seems to be in the water alot. Does any one know why it might be happening?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jace

Default Re: Whites tree frog in water too much?

Humidity fluctuations? I know my frogs (I don't own a White's though) seem to really soak it up for several days and then don't touch water again for several more....is he eating and pooping normally?

charlamanda

I have Gray Tree Froglets(10) (all about1") and none of them have ever gone into the " inground swimming pool" ever! Is this a bad sign too? The only time any of them went in it was when I dropped them back in after dinner and they dropped off a leaf into it by accident and then right back out. I live deep in a forest in a lake community (w/lots of frogs, turtles, snakes and deer, bear turkey and a whole plethera of other wild animals) we have well water and I don't treat it at all, Could it be the water????Any thoughts?

IgbyKibbits

First off, what are the conditions of your tank? That's the FIRST place to check and correct if necessary. You need to make sure that the humidity/temp are where they should be and that your frog is not retreating to the water for environmental purposes.

I do have White's and usually spending all the time in the water is not a good sign (at least it's in my experience). During the day, my healthy frogs like to bask while asleep and go down into the pond during the night in the "waking hours). On occasion, I have seen my girl go into the water while shedding (only for a bit during the day); but I do know with my little Kibbits, one of the first signs of illness was staying in the water all the time.

This is not at ALL to alarm you, but merely to point out that, in my experience, constant need for water in White's behavior was a starting symptom for disease. The more important question is have you noticed any other physical or behavioral changes?

If you are noticing the "water basking" with other symptoms such as increased lethargy, skin changes, or decreased appetite, I say it's important you make a call to the vet to be on the safe side. Either way, just keep a close eye on your little guy and be more aware for other changes that might signal an illness.

Thread Information