Thread: Need help identifying?

Shannon821

Default Need help identifying?

We found this frog at one of my husband's costumers house, outside. My husband wants to give it to my son as a pet to take care of. I have never had a tree frog before so this is all new to me. From pictures we thought he might be a grey tree frog but, we are not positive. Would really appreciate some help with identifying this little guy or girl. Also, do you think this tree frog is an appropriate pet for a 6 yr old?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

charlamanda

Default Re: Need help identifying?

WOW. what a nice chubby specimen!!! I agree I think it is a Gray Tree frog. I am definately not the expert here, but I have so many around here that it's the only frog that I have some knowledge on. From what I have learned about these guys they are very hardy and fairly easy frogs to have as pets(as far as frogs go). It maybe a bit more than a 6 year old to care for though, but I am sure you'll be doing most of the caring,LOL. From the size and girth it looks like an adult female..but just a guess. There is a great care sheet on this site for Gray Tree frogs and lots of people to ask for advice and help. Good Luck with your new froggy.

charlamanda

If you can, post a few more pics to help with sexing and better identification.
    I don't know how you posted it last time, but use the manage attachments so the pic comes up as a thumbnail. It's easier to open. BTW it took me a bit to figure things out and had lots of help, if you need any I'll do my best.

Shannon821

Do both the females and males make noises? While hubby was bringing it home, the make shift cage fell over and the frog croaked loudly. It hasn't made any other noises since. It did eat a moth that flew into it's box last night. We will be going out today to get it some food and a new home.

Shannon821

Quote Originally Posted by charlamanda View Post
    If you can, post a few more pics to help with sexing and better identification.
    I don't know how you posted it last time, but use the manage attachments so the pic comes up as a thumbnail. It's easier to open. BTW it took me a bit to figure things out and had lots of help, if you need any I'll do my best.
    Sure, I'll upload some more pics!

Shannon821

Here are 3 more pics! Hope I uploaded them correctly this time.

charlamanda

Perfect! Those pics are really good and some of the more experienced and knowledgable members will be able to better and definatively id your frogger.
    From what I've learned here the males are the ones that call, I don't know if you've ever heard these guys call but it's really, really loud. I think I can upload a clip for you in a few minutes or so. The females also croak and make other noises when touch, frightened or experience unwanted advances from the males, you'll hear that on my clip too.
    My guys love their crickets (they are only about 1", just babies, and can eat 1 to 3 crickets each) ,so I'd pick them up for food as well as some waxworms, the care sheet has info on feeding and housing(size, temp, humidity, bottom substrate, plants, lighting, etc.) it will be a big help for you to set up the terrium/vivarium. I've only had them for several weeks now and I've been feeding them every other day, your frog may not need to feed that frequently as an adult. They seem to really like moths too, I read it's considered a real treat. I was sitting on my couch and watched a 1/2" Gray Tree froglet, that was on the window ledge above my front door, down a moth that was at least 4x's it's size. I streched it's head up and back then arched it's back while pushing it in with it's front legs, it was incredible to watch.

charlamanda

I had some issues uploading the clip of the Gray Tree frogs calling, but I am sure there is a sound clip here if your not familiar with it.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

It does look like a nice healthy gray treefrog and only the males call. From my experience, male tree frogs start calling after you enter REM sleep to maximize the amount of sleep deprivation. Years ago I took my sons out frog hunting and we found several tree frogs and we found them by listening for their calls - DUH! The next night I was frantically searching the viv with a flashlight at 3 am to evict them.
    I used to think that I had to understand in order to believe, then I realized that I must believe in order to understand - Augustine

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums
    I used to think that I had to understand in order to believe, then I realized that I must believe in order to understand - Augustine

charlamanda

Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    It does look like a nice healthy gray treefrog and only the males call. From my experience, male tree frogs start calling after you enter REM sleep to maximize the amount of sleep deprivation. Years ago I took my sons out frog hunting and we found several tree frogs and we found them by listening for their calls - DUH! The next night I was frantically searching the viv with a flashlight at 3 am to evict them.
    LOL That's hysterical For what ever reason the Gray's gather in my yard and pool for their evening chorus. I live in a forest in a lake community with lots of swamp and vernal pools, but you don't hear them anywhere around for miles, but in my pool. 20-30 frogs in your yard can keep you up even with the windows closed and the air conditioning on, having them in a room calling would induce sezures and or muderous rampage

pangee123

yes but you should tell your child that they ushawally dont like being held they are a look and dont touch kind of pet but i still hold my frogs so i guess those rules really dont matter

lnaminneci

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon821 View Post
    Here are 3 more pics! Hope I uploaded them correctly this time.
    Shannon,

That is a gorgeous looking frog! I love the "star" mark on his/her back. Your son will learn alot from caring for a frog, but will definately need your guidance and assistance.
    Congrats on your new pet. You will find alot of info on the forum as to care and how to set up a home for your new frog!

Welcome!

~Lesley

Eel Noob

Nice looking gray. Love the almost complete star on his back.

charlamanda

How are things going with your new frog?? Star would be a great name reminds me of the character in 'Lost Boys'. Did you get his/her home set up? Let us know, I'd love to hear how your new frog is doing.

Shannon821

Hey guys!

Things are going great with our new gray! We took the suggestion of a previous poster and named (him) Star. Yep we weren't sure if it was a male or female but leaned torwards a female since it never made any noises. Well he started calling a couple nights ago so it's for sure a male. He's doing pretty great. Adjusting to his new cage well. He is eating great and even starting to climb around more.

We purchased a 12x12x18 Exo-terra kit for him. Here are some new pictures! We hope its big enough for him.

Thread Information