Thread: Pool tads and decreasing temp

charlamanda

Default Pool tads and decreasing temp

As I've posted before several weeks ago I found another lot of tads in the pool. I don't know what they are...could be Gray Tree Frog or Green Frogs, both are or have been in the pool. I check on the Greenies almost every day as well as the tads, which are not much bigger than the first time I saw them. The weather had been warmer, 75-88'F during the day and 55-65' night, but it's gotten colder & windier around 65-70'F day and 40-50' night. It has definately affected the growth of these guys. The water depth is 9-11"at deepest end, and since I didn't put the pool on the most even spot, is dry on the opposite side.
    I'll post another pic of the tads, but depending what kind they are will they morph or will they continue to grow slower and or will they stay in tad mode and finish morphing in the spring or, sadly, will they die? I do believe during the winter, which has gotten down to -15'F, all the water will freeze solid. Can they survive that or will they be crushed?
    Can I take them out, as many as I can, and put them in a big storage bin and leave them in my garage for the winter? I won't do this until the last minute.
    2 years ago we got our first blizzard with 13" of snow in mid-October and it gets colder pretty quick in Sept., any ideas on what will happen to these tads???
    I am going to try to get some new pics today, if I can find them. The pics I'm posting now are from a few weeks ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

charlamanda

Default Re: Pool tads and decreasing temp

Update...The tads are large enough or at least have enough detail to determine what they are. My camera takes aweful pics of anything to small, but I am sure they are more Gray Tree frog tads. I am shocked because I thought I was done with these guys for the season. Why would there be more now??? and what will happen to them this late in the season??Anyone???

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I'm a firm believer in letting nature takes its course. I would think most will metamorphose before the weather turns too severe. I would be more concerned that the froglets won't be able to build up enough reserves to last the winter - very likely, to be honest. Nature plays a few random acts like this each year - sometimes it's a good idea, sometimes not so much.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

charlamanda

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I'm a firm believer in letting nature takes its course. I would think most will metamorphose before the weather turns too severe. I would be more concerned that the froglets won't be able to build up enough reserves to last the winter - very likely, to be honest. Nature plays a few random acts like this each year - sometimes it's a good idea, sometimes not so much.
    I, unfortuately, thought the same about the froglets. I'd hate to see it, especially with it right in the yard. I have another aweful thought...the green frogs in the pool will most likely "snack" on the froglets before they even leave the pool. I realize these things happen and understand nature happens for reasons, but I'd rather not be a wittness to it's cruelties.
    I have this gut feeling I'll be taking in either tadpoles or more froglets
    If I am compelled to save some of them could I release them in spring? or am I stuck with the little fellas? I wish I could give some of these froglets another home.
    I was reading the fish and game commissions rules and regulations and it said you cannot sell, trade or barder, but can you give away frogs that you raised yourself??? It's a gray area(no pun intented) I'd be happy to give some away, if I can, to anyone who would care for them????Anyone close who'd be willing to raise these guys...no charge?LOL.

Thread Information