Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi there and can anyone help please?

Sephiri

Default Hi there and can anyone help please?

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and quite a new amphibian enthusiast but need a bit of help if anyone can. I recently aquired a frog that came across in a crate of bananas from the Ivory Coast. It's a dear little thing, about 1 inch long with gorgeous little yellow spots and it's underside is almost translucent. I've spent hours and hours trolling through thousands of photographs online but cannot find anything even remotely similar.

I'm afraid I can't work out how to add an image to a message (it just comes up as a broken link) So have put it as my profile pic. Can anyone help tell me what it is please? I'm not even sure if it's fully grown or still a juvenile, any help will be much appreciated.

Many thanks
    Sephi

Default Re: Hi there and can anyone help please?

Hi there! Welcome.

I have no idea what that frog is but it is just adorable! Hopefully someone on here will recognize it.

Jace

I am afraid I can't really say for sure what kind of frog this is. However, I am going to go out on a limb and suggest looking up information for Reed frogs. This is an incredibly large and diverse group, and colour variations are amazing, so you might not be able to find a picture that looks exactly like your frog. A more experienced Forum member will be able to confirm or deny my suggestion, but it might be at least a good place to start. You have a gorgeous little frog there. Best of luck.

Any chance it's a type of glass frog? All the pics I see though, the frogs are green.

Jace

I found a pic on the internet very similar to the avatar picture-Painted Reed frog was the name of it. However, there are something like a 100 species in this group, so it is very diverse. Reed frogs are pretty prevalent in Africa, so I would place my bet on it being part of that group. I'm not sure about their care requirements, but would hazard a guess that they can be kept like treefrogs as long as temps and humidity levels were matched. What those might be exactly, I have no idea.

I guess glass frogs aren't found in Africa, so ignore my post!

I did see the painted reed frog and thought it looked kinda similar, before Jace mentioned it. But, I'm pretty sure we have some experts who will look at it immediately and name off the scientific name in bold letters, maybe with some emoticon, and a silent little, "I rock."

Jace

Lol!! I am not certain on the Painted part of the Reed frog-I think I was looking at the wrong name for the picture I found. But I am pretty sure Reed frog is accurate. Hopefully someone can confirm that for me....

Sephiri

Thanks guys,

Reed frog was about as far as I got as well, but as you say there's just so many different species out there, some of which I just can't tell the difference between even with pictures right next to each other .

Thanks again,
    Sephi

bshmerlie

Why don't you try googling a book called "Frogs and Frogging in Southern Africa". If you click on it it will show you some different reed frogs that look similar to yours. I think as far as care sheets go, if you are certain it came from africa, than it would be a safe bet to follow a care sheet for the Argus Reed frogs. Care sheets for them are all over the internet. Keep us posted on how he does.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

A book about frogs in Southern Africa isn't going to be of much help - the Ivory Coast is a long way from there. From that one picture it's very hard to say much more than it is a reed frog. Maybe Terry is feeling daring.
    Last edited by John; September 10th, 2010 at 09:51 PM.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to the Forum. That is a sublimely beautiful frog, whatever it is. Have you been able to get it to eat? Also, how big is it?
    I used to think that I had to understand in order to believe, then I realized that I must believe in order to understand - Augustine

Paul Rust

Hello and welcome:

It looks like a Hyperoliidae. Try Opisthothylax.immaculatus
    Last edited by Paul Rust; September 11th, 2010 at 02:29 AM.

hyla

Hopefully Paul is right so you can help it along. It is truly unusual and so cute!

RobM

Kinda makes me think of:
    Heterixalus alboguttatus
    See: http://www.nickgarbutt.com/images/dm...nomafana_1.jpg

But its from Madagascar!

pangee123

it is infact a yellow bellied reed frog

Paul Rust

Opisthothylax.immaculatus

Range includes Ivory Coast.

http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...ax+immaculatus

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    Kinda makes me think of:
    Heterixalus alboguttatus
    See: http://www.nickgarbutt.com/images/dm...nomafana_1.jpg

But its from Madagascar!
    At least this one has similar markings. But wrong range

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by pangee123 View Post
    it is infact a yellow bellied reed frog
    Reed frogs originate from central and southern Africa, Madagascar, and the Seychelles Islands. The Ivory Coast is out of their range.

Tropicok

Maybe the labeling on the bananas is wrong. I think it (the frog) has been identified but no telling what route the bananas took getting to the UK. Just a thought.

SethD

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Rust View Post
    Reed frogs originate from central and southern Africa, Madagascar, and the Seychelles Islands. The Ivory Coast is out of their range.

Strike.... "Reed frogs" is a a term usually applied to hyperolius species. The ivory coast is indeed in the range of some hyperolius species. I actually have some reed frogs from ghana which is right next to the ivory coast. Some of the hyperolius group are are found in south africa but they are not found in Madagascar or the Seychelles Islands. Some similar groups like Heterixalus(which is from Madagascar) and Afrixalus are sometimes called "reed frogs" too. That is incorrect usage of the term in my opinion but given that "reed frogs" is a common name I suppose there is no definite right or wrong there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information