Thread: My new Uromastyx

MarshallsMom

Default My new Uromastyx

Hi everyone!
    After all your helpful insight, I decided on a little Nigerian Uromastyx.
    He is still unnamed.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: My new Uromastyx

Congratulations!

4. This member thanks Kurt for this post:

jjmorton13

Awesome! I love my Mali Uro. My next reptile is likely to be another Uro of some kind. I'm leaning towards Egyptian, but we'll see. I don't quite have the space for that yet. Post some pictures if you get a chance!

6. This member thanks jjmorton13 for this post:

MarshallsMom

Oh, I know! When I get my own place, I'll have Egyptians. They're beautiful! I was thinking about an Ornate, but I didn't want to pay that much. Do you have pictures of your Mali up?
    Also, did yours gain color as he matured?

jjmorton13

I have a couple of pictures of my Mali when he was a baby in my personal photo album. I need to get some current ones up at some point since he is about 4 years old now. He is a very plainly colored Uro, so he actually lost some of his color as he got older. Since he is male, his head turned dark black and his tail got a little darker.
    I almost bought an ornate at a reptile expo in Orlando a few months back, but they are a little beyond a grad-school budget, especially when I already have 3 lizards, a frog, and a dog. I want an egyptian because of their potential adult size, they are just awesome if you can find the correctly identified subspecies. For coloration though, nothing beats a nice ornate. However, the yellow and red phases of the Saharan Uros are also pretty awesome, as are the sudanese.

MarshallsMom

I have a Saharan, so I'm hoping he colors up. I saw his baby picture; he's too cute.
    I like the size of the Egyptians, too. I think I want a large lizard someday, so it'd be either that or a Savannah Monitor. The Egyptians are prettier in color than the SAvannahs.
    Just out of curiosity, how much was the Ornate?
    What other lizards do you have?

jjmorton13

The savannah monitor has been a dream reptile of mine for a long time, not only for their size, but also their attitude (assuming it is well socialized and handled). I would imagine they are more expensive to feed since they are carnivores, and also need a larger enclosure than an Egyptian uro.
    I think the ornate at the expo was around $250. Its not a terrible price in general, but it is given my current school status. They had a breeding male there as well that was not for sale, and was possibly the most beautiful reptile I've ever seen. I wish I had taken pictures.
    As far as my cold-blooded family, I current house my Mali Uro, a bearded dragon, a veiled chameleon, and an African Bullfrog. I love my frog, but I will always be a lizard person. Definitely the coolest animals on earth.

MarshallsMom

Absolutely! I haven't kept lizards in years, I'm glad to be getting back into them.

Thread Information