Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi!

Greg M

Default Hi!

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to say "Hi!" and introduce myself! My name is Greg and I live in Oklahoma with my wife and son. I grew up in Canada, and spent much of my youth collecting frogs, toads and salamanders. Eventually, my interest in animals led me to a career as a research scientist. I have recently returned to keeping amphibians, an interest I share now with my son. I am amazed how much this hobby has changed in the last 20 years or so. On the positive side, so much more is known about amphibian care/husbandry, and so many interesting morphs are available! On the negative side, the hobby is complicated, to put it mildly, by the chytrid epidemic. I definitely consider myself a newbie, despite about 15 years of experience with amphibians, because chytrid, and changes in amphibian husbandry have changed things so much. I hope to learn a lot from y'all" and maybe make some friends!

Cheers!
    Greg

Default Re: Hi!

Hey Greg! Welcome to the forum.

We're neighbors. I live in Missouri! I use to live close to Oklahoma City.

Jace

Welcome Greg. Sounds like we will be able to learn from you as well as you from us. Glad to hear your son is interested as well. Do you own any amphibians currently? Always great to have another wonderful person join!

Greg M

Hi 1Beataway and Jace!

Thanks for the welcome messages!

1Beataway - I love MO, just came back from a lovely vacation in Branson!

Jace - I have a very modest collection right now - two Woodhouse's toads and a putative Dwarf American toad. One of the Woodhouse's toads has been with me for a while and has grown into quite the beast. I really want to expand a bit - I love native toads and treefrogs, and I must admit a fascination with Pixie's and horned frogs, but I have already dealt with chytrid once, and I'm a bit unsure how to safely expand...

I've been to Branson during labor day weekend quite a few times. Actually, it was more usually Silver Dollar City.
    I don't live that far from there.

How did you handle chytrid?

Greg M

Hi Jace,

In my case, I had a newly acquired toad die with symptoms suggestive of chytrid. Although the toad had been quarantined, I was concerned that I had not been rigorous enough in my attention to the possibility of cross-contamination, so I decided to treat the other toads prophylactically with 0.01% itraconazole in 0.6% NaCl (5 min. baths every day for 11 days, with sterilization of their cages every day). The toads were not impressed and it was a lot of work, but they came through fine. I did not have a chance to get PCR testing done, so I suppose this is just a presumed case of chytrid. I went with itraconazole rather than terbinafine because I was concerned that Lamasil AT has a number of additional ingredients that I feared might harm the toads, although I understand that Lamasil has become the first line treatment for chytrid...

Paul Rust

Welcome aboard Greg, I won't hold the growing up in Canada thing against you
    Hope you enjoy it here and I'm looking forward to your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Rust View Post
    Welcome aboard Greg, I won't hold the growing up in Canada thing against you
    But only if you don't hold the "Being Paul" thing against him.

Greg M

Hi Paul!

And I won't hold the being American thing against you .

Cheers!
    Greg

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by 1beataway View Post
    But only if you don't hold the "Being Paul" thing against him.
    I got your number Elaine.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
    Hi Paul!

And I won't hold the being American thing against you .

Cheers!
    Greg
    Oh I like this guy already!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Rust View Post
    I got your number Elaine.
    Stalker!

Hehehe!

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to the forum Greg.

Stalker!

Hehehe!

LOL. I didn't see this until I saw the post after mine....SCARY, Paul. :P

lnaminneci

Welcome to the Forum Greg!

It sounds like you have a nice collection started. And it's great that you enjoy the frogs with your son. A good way to "guy bond". How old is your son?
    I enjoy our frogs with my son as well. They learn soo much, and are fascinated by them.

~Lesley

LOL. I didn't see this until I saw the post after mine....SCARY, Paul. :P
    Elaine,
    Paul is definately scary! I think they can see things we have No idea about!! lol
    Wait! Maybe that would be scary for HIM! LOL

Greg M

Hi Ebony! Hi lnaminneci!

Inaminneci - my son is seven, about the age at which I became really interested in amphibia. Because he is young, we care for the toads together, and its a great opportunity to share a common interest, and at the same time, quietly pass along some of what I think is important in caring for animals. My son is an avid reader and has devoured all of my amphibian books. He actually goes to sleep some nights listening to a frog/toad calls CD that came with an amphibian book we bought for him.

That is so sweet!

Jace

I would love to see some pictures of your toads! I recently came into possession of a Western toad myself and I'm finding them to be full of spunk and character. I can't wait to watch Enoch grow and mature.

I can understand your caution on expanding your collection. I am glad that your toads made it through the treatment okay, but that would always be in the back of my mind too. However, with your experience and knowledge-plus advice and ideas from us hip and cool Frog Forum members-I am sure we can help you expand whenever you are ready.

Your son sounds like a great young man! And he has great taste in bedtime music, too!!

lnaminneci

Quote Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
    Hi Ebony! Hi lnaminneci!

Inaminneci - my son is seven, about the age at which I became really interested in amphibia. Because he is young, we care for the toads together, and its a great opportunity to share a common interest, and at the same time, quietly pass along some of what I think is important in caring for animals. My son is an avid reader and has devoured all of my amphibian books. He actually goes to sleep some nights listening to a frog/toad calls CD that came with an amphibian book we bought for him.
    Greg,

That is soo great! Your son will always remember that about your father/son relationship. He will learn and inherit your love, respect, and appreciation for animals/amphibians.
    My son is 4 years old. And it is soo much fun to watch his face and see his thrill and excitement when caring for our 4 frogs. It has been a great learning experience for BOTH of us. He will often fall asleep listening to a cd of a babbling brook and crickets.
    You will learn alot from the Forum, and everyone here is soo helpful, informative, and friendly!

~Lesley

Greg M

Hi!

I thought y'all might like this pic of my son's birthday cake... It was made by someone wonderful at Sweet Memories Bakery here in OKC...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Awesome cake! I love it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information