Thread: New here and need advise ASAP!

LisaL

Default New here and need advise ASAP!

Hello folks! I am usually on the Gardenweb forums in the birding sites or the pond forum. I am in forest land in West Michigan. I have a small 600 gal pond, there are 2 small ponds above with waterfalls leading to the 500 gal below. I have assorted Gold Fish from 10+ years old to babies from last year. I am pretty heavy on fish load. I am a 5 minute walk to a nice lake with a marsh in between. I had noticed a real decline in my frog population over the past few years, infact I have not had tadpoles in 4 years.
    This year I have more frogs than ever (I see 20 at a time and I have lots of plants), most are Green Frogs around 1" to 2" and a few around 3". I have had frogs overwinter in the 500 gal pond safely and a few that tried to overwinter in the 2- 50 gal pond that died. I am afraid if I get to many frogs trying to overwinter it will increase the load on the pond and I will lose both fish and frogs over the long frozen months. I would like to know if I should gather up the majority of the frogs and take them to the marsh. I know a lot will leave on thier own but my taking them will insure the make it there safely. Is this a good idea? If so when? I would love for them to stay as long as is safe. Thanks!

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New here and need advise ASAP!

I doubt enough would die to kill everything in the pond. Gathering them up is no harm, but it won't stop others getting to the pond I'm afraid.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

LisaL

Thanks, here in West Michigan the Frogs are slowing down, I am pretty sure there wont be any more comming to my pond, just some leaving. I was hoping to find somebody that could tell me what makes the frogs leave, temps, sunlight, etc. I have a couple very nice places to take them. I just need to find a real wild frog expert familiar with my area. Any suggestions are greatly apriciated!

Kurt

Welcome aboard. I don't know of anything that will drive the frogs out that won't also kill your fish. Maybe if there is a lot of activity around the pond, the frogs will leave.

Thread Information