Thread: Hibernating Question

froggiez

Default Hibernating Question

Hi...I am debating whether or not to let my grays hibernate. I would like to breed them and I read here that if you want to breed then you need to let them cycle, hibernate. What are the pros and cons of hibernating vs not hibernating other than the breeding, and if I did choose to hibernate can I just set them on the porch in a critter keeper with soil in it? and the care sheet says to stop feeding them in october and after 2 weeks then start the hibernating...I live in Ohio so it should be cold enough come mid october november to put them outside for hibernating right?
    I would miss them terribly while they hibernate

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Hibernating Question

Then don't hibernate them. The only reasons I would do it, is one, to breed them and two, if they gave you no choice. I have an eastern milksnake that every fall stops eating and has to be cooled down, otherwise he would waste away.

froggiez

health wise it is better to hibernate or does it really make a difference? As for breeding, if I was to try and breed them how much water will I need for them to lay the eggs in? like a false bottom or something? I am sure there has to be something about breeding them around here...I will look

Kurt

They will be fine if they don't brumate (the correct term for it). The water can be a few inches deep to lay eggs.

froggiez

ok...and I just re read the care sheet must not have scrolled down far enough because there is info on breeding
    thank you for the info!
    If they do brumate do I then put them outside for cool down for the winter?

froggiez

wow...I didn't realize they lay so many eggs at once...I don't think I could choose what eggs to keep and which ones not to...I think I will wait until I am a little more experienced in keeping these guys and get another set up to have somewhere to keep all the babies before I try breeding

Thread Information