Thread: Hello first time frog owner

Waybueno

Default Hello first time frog owner

Hi my name is Kat im going to be 20yro in December and I own my very first frog. He is a dumpy frog or whites tree frog. Iv had him for about 7-8 months give or take, when I got him he was the size of a quarter, he's about the size of a golf ball now I think lol.
    He is living in a 20gallon tall tank with lots of decorations.
    To tell you the truth I know nothing about him other than he is a frog that croaks very loudly in my room, I dont even know if he really is infact a he, his name is Jaba btw(original I know). So i'd love any tips, facts or any advice at all :]
    Also will he be more comfortable in a bigger tank or is that a good size? I was thinking about getting him a 40gallon.

here's a picture of the infamous Jaba

Jace

Default Re: Hello first time frog owner

Welcome to the forum! Jaba is a very nice looking frog-you are obviously doing something right. I personally do not own a White's Treefrog, but if he's a singing for you, then it's a boy. Many forum members have experience with White's and will be more than happy to share their stories and knowledge with you. Thanks for joining!

Paul Rust

Welcome to FrogForum kat.
    Very good looking frog you have there. A larger tank would be better IMO. It would also like some branches and plants to climb on. I don't keep WTF's so I will turn this over to the pros.
    Last edited by Paul Rust; September 2nd, 2010 at 09:52 PM.

Waybueno

Aw thanks guys at least I know he at least looks good! He's been eating mealworms, iv heard some say thats bad some say its fine, what are some opinions on that? He enjoys them alot more than the crickets.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi there and welcome to the forum Kat..Jaba is lovely. If you haven't already check out the care article to your left.

Jace

Mealworms are not the best staple food for frogs or toads. Of course, it's like chocolate-the tastier it is, the more they want it!! Mealworms do have a fairly high fat content and White's can become chubby so that may be something to watch out for. However, with a face like that, he may be hard to resist...

Waybueno

I know right? a little irresistible I think. What would be a good diet for him if I were to mix it up a little?Okay so the care sheet said no tap water, I have been using tap water, is there an 'easy' way to make my own distilled water or should I just go buy bottles of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Waybueno View Post
    I know right? a little irresistible I think. What would be a good diet for him if I were to mix it up a little?Okay so the care sheet said no tap water, I have been using tap water, is there an 'easy' way to make my own distilled water or should I just go buy bottles of it?
    Gut-loaded crickets are the standard recommended staple, with the various 'wormy' things as treats. You can also try letting some waxworms turn into moths before feeding to him for a good time.

The distilled recommendation is for aesthetic purposes when misting as tap water will leave behind mineral deposits on the glass. This isn't bad for the frog, just bad for your visibility. If you are just using distilled water for misting, it's probably cheaper and easier to just buy it as you use it rather than buy the machine to make it yourself.

I'm sure he's fine in your 20 gallon given his size, but that doesn't make getting a 40 gallon for him a bad idea. More hiding and climbing spots in the tank would be good, though your picture only shows a portion of it so it's hard to tell.

Oh, and welcome to the forum

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to the forum Kat.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Waybueno

Thanks guys! :]

yeah I noticed that it leaves the calcium on the glass and makes it harder to see into, but as long as its not bad for the frog I guess It dont matter i'll find a way to clean it.
    Thanks for the help :]

Paul Rust

yeah I noticed that it leaves the calcium on the glass and makes it harder to see into, but as long as its not bad for the frog I guess It dont matter i'll find a way to clean it.
    Use a small sprayer and don't spray the glass. This is the most used care item I have. You can adjust the nozzle to mist or to a stream to spot clean.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...origkw=sprayer

You can clean it with normal water and some scrubbing. Just be sure to dry it with a cloth or paper towel or you'll get deposits again. A razor blade is also handy for cleaning thick buildups off glass (usually found in the paint section of hardware stores), just don't slice up the silicone holding the tank together.

Waybueno

wow you guys are awesome thank you, I'll have to look into buying one of those! And im gonna go clean his tank right now :]

Edit: Im gonna post some pictures of his tank in a moment.

Waybueno

Okay so from reading around and hearing what you guys have to say he definitely needs more branches so imma get right on that. And he is gonna be moving into a 40gallon shortly, now that I look at him in the middle of the tank I personally think he'd enjoy it to be bigger and better.

has a smile to die for <3

Thread Information