Thread: Gulf coast toad

Madeve

Default Gulf coast toad

I decided to make a new thread after my introduction thread. I wanted to try and sex my pair of toads and took some pictures. I couldn't quite get them to stay still enough to take an underneath picture like John suggested but I got a front and side picture of them. Oh and I was not expecting to have them squirt on me while putting them back in their container.

Here is toad one

and toad 2

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Gulf coast toad

Hi Eve,

The underside shot is to see the thumbs. I'm going to guess that 1 is female and 2 is male.

All the best,

-John
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Madeve

I'm not sure if this is how it works with toads but #1 is bigger than #2, also #2 is the one that croaks. Fun fact, #2 went into a funky croak and shake when I picked him up whereas #1 didn't mind being handled at all.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

That was almost certainly a release call, which both sexes are capable of. What did it sound like?

Madeve

It sounds like a kind of squeak, I took a video, you can hear it if you listen hard sorry about the kids making background noise.

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=SDC11616.flv
    Last edited by Madeve; July 11th, 2009 at 10:50 PM. Reason: I can't seem to be able to embed the video

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Release call.

Madeve

I thought that's what he did when picked up, it surprised me at first (though not as much as being squirted on). He does a normal toad croak too, mostly in the evening.
    Now if they do breed are they going to breed on land and then the female lays in the water or will they breed in the water?

Kurt

They mate in water, which is typical of Bufonids.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Hi Eve,

Now that you've had them a while, what do you think of these guys as captives? By the way, your two are still very young - adults can be huge. I saw about 200 of these guys last night in south Dallas, ranging from toadlets to very large adults.

-John

Nationality
    [United States]

I am curious as to what type of set up you are using for these guys. They are very cool pets in my opinion. Mine are still in quarantine for a while, but I have not built a permanent indoor enclosure for them yet. Do yours prefer to burrow or utilize hides? Mine seem to do both, depending on the temperature.
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

robertgartner

Hi All,
    I am new to this forum.I reside in Houston Texas and where the occasional swamp lot still exists or ditch we get a few Gulf Coast toads.
    Does anybody know anything about raising them from tadpole stage? r a site that does?

BTW: We have one called a Rio Grande frog too natualized into the area which I read once in the local newspaper has its home in the Rio Grande Valley area of Texas. They sing lovely songs at night ad seem to reply to chirping sounds to imitate them.

The GC toad seems to have a "reeeeeee reeeee " sound when it wants to breed.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

We haven't got a sheet specifically for raising toad tadpoles, but they are pretty standard tadpoles to raise - you can use the Gray Tree Frog Care article's raising guidelines for these toads (it's linked at the top of every page under the Care Info link). The only difference is that toads metamorphose at a smaller size than frogs, generally.

Thread Information