Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 GIANT PYXIES!!!!! Your eyes aren't deceiving you!!

Jeff Kennedy

Default 30 GIANT PYXIES!!!!! Your eyes aren't deceiving you!!

Jela's Pyxie Project!!! We have busted our butt's over the last couple of months to make this possible. We hope that you guys will enjoy this as much as us and hopefully we can all learn a little bit more about the Pyxicephalus adspersus. With that said, enjoy guys and gals!!!

Jela's Pyxie Project
    Last edited by Jeff Kennedy; September 1st, 2010 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Wanted to change title.

2. This member thanks Jeff Kennedy for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

onedge30

Default Re: Without further adieu...We (Jeff & Ella) bring you..

Very cool. I look forward to following their growth. Can you tell me what prompted this project? What are you looking to learn? Will you put all your information into a finished format?

I am very curious. Sounds very interesting.

RikoAustria

Default Re: 30 GIANT PYXIES!!!!! Your eyes aren't deceiving you!!

That's awesome! I wish you the best of luck with the project! I'll be following.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That's really interesting - thanks for sharing it with us. What are you going to do with the excess frogs when they are bigger?
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Jeff Kennedy

Alright let's see if I can cover what has been asked thus far. Thank you guys for checking it out and we are glad that you are enjoying it.

Jeff: As far as what prompted this journey, you can search some of the posts on our blog and find that info or you might remember a couple months back when we got ripped off and purchased what we were told was a Giant when in fact it was Dwarf. We were unarmed with the knowledge back then to know that what we received was a dwarf and now, we want to study the characteristics of the Giant and pass on our info to other uneducated buyers that are seeking a Pyxie. The added benefit is that out of (30), hopefully we end up with a 10" monster!!! Stay tuned to the site, we are in the process of uploading our growth charts which will be done monthly so you the reader can track each specimens progress as well.

Riko: Thanks man. Glad you are enjoying it.

John: Thank you as well. I am sure that at some point, you yourself will play a part in this study. I know that you are the sexing expert and might want to bounce some thoughts off of you at some point down the road. As far as extras??? HaHaHa!!! Who knows. Originally I think that we had kicked around the idea of possibly doing some local reptile shows in our area after our study was done but by then, we might be attached. We already find ourselves getting attached to our River Toads that we had intended on beefing up and reselling. Who knows what the future holds...

well good luck! good thing you have your worm farm to feed those mouths on legs
    African Bullfrogs, Clawed Frogs, Salamanders, Newts, Bearded Dragons,

Mordecai

Yes they are walking garbage disposals! It was hysterical watching itsy bitsy frogs attack those wigglers! Such fierce little eaters! And when the worms run out, luckily we are renting out our garage to a massive roach colony. They will be paying rent in the near future!!!

Kevin1

I didn't check out the site too much. But when did you purchase these 30 pyxies?

EpicFrogMan

Congrats, but i know people who have been trying to breed Africans for years with no luck. Its not that easy even if you have a 10 inch monster.

Kim from the Frog Ranch probably has the process mastered now. You should of asked a step by step breeding scenario.

Malachi

I am very interested in getting a few froglets. So if Kim is breeding where are they being sold?

Mordecai

Kevin: We made arrangements with Kim a couple of months ago, before the frogs were even bred, and they arrived yesterday. One batch of 15 (a month and a half old) and the second batch of 15 (a couple of days out of the water).

EpicFrogMan: Thank you. We do not intend to breed the Pyxies. We just want to learn more about them, and watch them grow. And hopefully one of the 30 will be a big ol boy for us to keep. After reading up on them for the last couple months, it became clear that breeding is no easy task, so we ruled that out a long time ago. But having this many and being able to monitor their growth is plenty good enough for now!

froggiez

Very cool...keep the updates coming!

Kevin1

Hear that people? That means pyxies should hit the market any week now.

Jeff Kennedy

"Hear that people? That means pyxies should hit the market any week now."

Hopefully for the many that are searching for one that is the case, however it is doubtful. The first (15) that was bred in July, produced very low numbers. I am not sure of the second batch production as we did not speak of it but I know that we were some of the only people whom were getting a chance at acquiring Pyxies at the moment. Kim has been placing his females on sabbatical and it seems that when he does that, none of the other so called "Pyxie Breeders" here or over seas can produce any. I think its pretty clear that Kim is the only guy whom has successfully figured out how to breed these guys.

pixiefrogman

Well I hope someone can, I want another one!

SethD

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kennedy View Post
    "Hear that people?
    Hopefully for the many that are searching for one that is the case, however it is doubtful. The first (15) that was bred in July, produced very low numbers.
    Pixies don't interest me a great deal but I do find it interesting that a breeder of a species that lays thousands of eggs has "low numbers" of fresh CB specimens available if demand is high. Seems like the ceratophrys aurita(same breeder I think) are being marketed the same way. I have bred other species that lay large numbers of eggs like those two do and barring any major accidents a single breeding can produce hundreds and hundreds of froglets/toadlets. Normally you just cull the numbers down to however many you want to raise. That makes me think that the whole "limited availability" thing is either inaccurate or intentionally being done to take advantage of high prices and market conditions.

pixiefrogman

SethD: I agree with you 100%.

Kevin1

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kennedy View Post
    "Hear that people? That means pyxies should hit the market any week now."

Hopefully for the many that are searching for one that is the case, however it is doubtful. The first (15) that was bred in July, produced very low numbers. I am not sure of the second batch production as we did not speak of it but I know that we were some of the only people whom were getting a chance at acquiring Pyxies at the moment. Kim has been placing his females on sabbatical and it seems that when he does that, none of the other so called "Pyxie Breeders" here or over seas can produce any. I think its pretty clear that Kim is the only guy whom has successfully figured out how to breed these guys.
    Hello Jeff, I became aware of this when I spoke to Kim about it a few weeks ago. Though at the time he said they should become available in the next month or two. He also mentioned putting his breeders on sabbatical.

Kim is not the only person who mastered the breeding of pyxies. The legendary Phillipe De Vosjoli is very skilled at pyxie breeding though, these days he has no interest in doing so.(caught up in New Caledonian Giant Geckos). Robert and him also bred many of the Ceratophrys species. I believe they were the true first breeders of C. Aurita. If memory serves me right they bred many of these "fat frogs" before Kim ever attempted it.

Quote Originally Posted by SethD View Post
    Pixies don't interest me a great deal but I do find it interesting that a breeder of a species that lays thousands of eggs has "low numbers" of fresh CB specimens available if demand is high. Seems like the ceratophrys aurita(same breeder I think) are being marketed the same way. I have bred other species that lay large numbers of eggs like those two do and barring any major accidents a single breeding can produce hundreds and hundreds of froglets/toadlets. Normally you just cull the numbers down to however many you want to raise. That makes me think that the whole "limited availability" thing is either inaccurate or intentionally being done to take advantage of high prices and market conditions.
    I also agree with you Seth.

Tofuman

Congratulations and good luck with your study.

Mordecai

Thank you very much!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information