Thread: Amazon milk frogs

bogalog

Default Amazon milk frogs

Hi all,

Im new to this forum, and dont yet own any frogs.

Recently, I've been doing research into keeping frogs, and it seems 3 commonly come up as easy to keep for beginners like me - white's tree frog, the horned frog, and fire bellied toads.

I nearly settled on keeping a horned frog, and even found a green horned frog I liked the look of in a shop, but seeing WTF and the titular amazon milk frog in the flesh has made my decision harder. The sales guy who was helping me told me that his first frogs were milk frogs and they weren't hard to keep at all

Does anyone have any experience with milk frogs? Do they need to be kept in pairs for company? I have found one caresheet here: Amphibian Care >> Amazon Milk Frog (Trachycephalus resinifictrix) Care
    From what I've read, they are somewhat similar to WTFs, but I'd rather get some first hand experience.

My only concern is whether they will disturb my sleeping, as I need to keep them in my bedroom.

I would look at getting an exo-terra enclosure no matter what frog I bought, which size is most suitable for tree frogs? 45x45x45cm? (~20gallons) 45x45x60cm? (~26gallons) bigger? At these kind of volumes, size definitely becomes an issue for me.

Thanks for reading,

Josh

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Amazon milk frogs

They are pretty easy to take care of - no more so than White's, and at least with Milk Frogs, most are captive bred (perhaps all?). They could keep you up at night though - males can call at night and I wouldn't want them in my bedroom if I were you. Milk Frogs are not small - I would go for the 45x45x60cm terrarium if I were you.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

4. This member thanks John for this post:

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Wow.. I just looked them up. I always thought they were small frogs. Im always learning.

Paul Rust

Amazon Milk Frogs are my favorite non-dart frogs. I think they are absolutely gorgeous. They do get large as John said.
    Welcome to the forum.

7. This member thanks Paul Rust for this post:

bogalog

Thanks for the replies guys.

I realise all frogs are different, but are they likely to be up all night, every night, or just the odd bit of noise?

I think if they are as easy as white's to keep, I would prefer the milk frogs, but the smaller enclosure and easier keeping of the horned frog (as well as them being quieter and diurnal) keeps making me reconsider.

Are they really going to keep me up all night every night?

Nationality
    [Ireland]

When they're in breeding mode, the males could well call for much of the night - that would probably happen in your summer time, unless you maintain a fairly constant temperature and humidity - which I would advise.

10. This member thanks John for this post:

bshmerlie

I don't know if it would be possible but you could buy just the girls. Maybe John would know how to sex them or if that would even be a viable option.

12. This member thanks bshmerlie for this post:

Kurt

Personally, I have gotten use to my frogs calling at night, no biggie. Michael Novy works with this species, you should ask him about them

14. This member thanks Kurt for this post:

Nationality
    [Ireland]

You can't sex these frogs as juveniles, unfortunately, and the majority are sold as juveniles.

16. This member thanks John for this post:

bogalog

Yeh, the ones I have found are juveniles, and i'm not as interested in buying adult frogs.

I still cant decide between horned frogs and milk frogs, I would prefer a milk frog but the potential calling at night is worrying

Kurt

As far as I know, horned frogs call at night as well.

IgbyKibbits

Honestly, from my experience (though I don't know how light of a sleeper you are), I quickly got used to the "calling" at night. I will say, however, that I only had one male so I only had to contend with one voice, instead of a chorus :P

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by bogalog View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I realise all frogs are different, but are they likely to be up all night, every night, or just the odd bit of noise?

I think if they are as easy as white's to keep, I would prefer the milk frogs, but the smaller enclosure and easier keeping of the horned frog (as well as them being quieter and diurnal) keeps making me reconsider.

Are they really going to keep me up all night every night?
    If memory serves right, horned frogs sound like a lamb getting slaughtered.. Milkys sound like someone farted (my opinion), so it all depends what you fancy I guess..lol..
    Michael Novy
    rainforestjunkys.com

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by michael novy View Post
    If memory serves right, horned frogs sound like a lamb getting slaughtered.. Milkys sound like someone farted (my opinion), so it all depends what you fancy I guess..lol..
    EWW !! Thanks for that thought Mike. Hmm...what would you rather go to sleep to?

Thread Information