Thread: Feeding Tank or Feed INSIDE the Tank? WTF Advice Please : )

IgbyKibbits

Default Feeding Tank or Feed INSIDE the Tank? WTF Advice Please : )

Hey guys! So, for the last year, we were feeding our WTFs inside their tank, i.e. every other day, putting in about six large crickets. These guys would usually sit by the glass knowing feeding time was coming and catch them as they were put into the tank.

However, once Kibbits got sick, in order to better monitor Igby (as well as Kibbits from his quarantine tank), we were feeding in a separate "feeding tank." We wanted to make sure, of course, that Igby was still happily eating, as suggested by our vet.

Now, since Kibbits has unfortunately passed, I've continued to feed Igby outside the main large setup (an elaborate 35 gallon). On Saturday, we brought home another new WTF, and we've been doing the same with him so we can monitor his eating as well.

So the question is this: do you think pulling them out of their normal enclosures to a cleaned "feeding tank" is too stressful for the little guys? I just feel bad handling them so much in order to transfer them (we do use cleaned, frog-water treated latex gloves, so we aren't touching them with skin-to-skin contact), but I also feel like being able to monitor their feeding habits, keep the main tank/temp tank cleaner without crickets being able to burrow or hide, etc., is really beneficial - especially after losing Kibbits since I feel like had we been doing this, we would have noticed his decrease in appetite a lot sooner.

What do people think? Do other WTF/frog owners do this as well, feeding in a separate tank? Is it too stressful for the frogs? Igby (and Kibbits) didn't take to well to "tong-feeding." Suggestions/advice would be great. We just want to make sure that we make the right decision having this temporary tactic (until we know that Igby is out of the woods) turn into a more permanent approach.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Diogo Juliao

Default Re: Feeding Tank or Feed INSIDE the Tank? WTF Advice Please : )

I feed mine inside the tank, because they don't accept food in a strage environment. I think that if yours are feeding well, you should try to feed them inside the tank.

I know that if they are eating well outside, they don't get as stress as mine, but it's always a little bit stressful, so I would try to feed them inside

For me, the best ways to feed inside the tank are to put a small box buried on the ground, so that the top of the box stays on the ground level, and count how many crickets (or other insects) you put in there. That way you can always know how many did they eat. Or feed them with a forceps, if they accept

Chaya

i was originally letting mine "find" and hunt their own crickets in their enclosure... but oneday i accidently left my cricket keeper next to the viv and my bigger girl decided she would smack her head into the glass after those crickets and kept getting mouthfuls of dirt. Since then my frogs know 8 minutes after the lights go out to crawl down onto a big piece of mopani wood and they both sit and stare at the top of the cage til they see me. The girl opens her mouth impatiently and i offer her a cricket with the frog tweezers and i alternate crickets between the smaller skinnier boy and the bigger fatter girl they seem happy to have me feed them. I still let about 6-8 crickets roam their enclosure so they can hunt but this way i guarantee each one is getting at least 3 crickets per feeding.

plus its fun to watch then grab the cricket from the tweezers and use their grubby little hands to shovel it into their mouth! XD and sometimes they will see a random cricket and start wiggling one of their toes to lure the cricket to them

charlamanda

I am glad u asked this ??? I too have been wondering about this and think I have a solution.
    As I am sure you already know, I raised Gray Tree tads in my pool and broght in 8 froglets in. They are in a 33 gal tank that I've set up with 5 plants, several rocks and lots of places to hide within the tank and around the hood I had to modify. They range from about 3/4" to around 1" + or -, and it takes a lot of time and effort to find them for dinner.
    I had been feeding them daily, but every other day they weren't as interested or not at all in the food. I now feed them every other day, with this system they are grabbing the food as I drop them in the "dining room" container. All seem to be eating very well and given their size, most eat 2 or 3 crickets each.
    My guys are very young and newly caputured, trying to find 8 of them in their "home" and practically tearing it apart to find them would be a stressful situation to go through so often. My idea is to find a clear container, tall enough that the crickets won't jump out, but the frogs can see in, like what is used for breeding fish or isolating them. I'd place this container in the tank right up front and sit and watch, making sure all are eating. After they seem satisfied their bellies are bulging, I'd simply remove the container from the tank and remove any crickets/waxworms left over.

charlamanda

BTW....I am so sorry Kibbits didn't make it. It's hard loosing any pet no matter how small, hurts all the same.
    I am happy though for your new baby, Congradulations!

Jace

I use a combination of feeding in their enclosures and using a separate eating bin for my brood. Once a week I use the bin to ensure that they are getting calcium dusted crickets or worms. The rest of the feedings are in their setups, as watching them hunt can be quite comical for me and natural for them. The only ones I take out on a regular basis are my African Giants, as it allows me to do tank maintenance at the same time...and I am not sticking my hand in there with a hungry bullfrog eyeing me up!!

IgbyKibbits

Thank you guys so much for your feedback (and thank you for your sentiments in Kibbits passing. I miss the little guy so much!) You've given me a lot of great ideas to work with the feeding situation! I, too, like the idea of the frogs being able to "hunt" in a more natural environment. I was just tired of finding crickets burrowed away, or dirtying up the tank. The idea of putting in a sort of "dining room" type container seems like a really good idea (the hope being that they'll eat their dinner before their escapes into the nooks and crannies of the tank).

I think I'm going to continue to really work on the tong feeding, and use the container as a backup and see how that works out.

I hope old frogs can learn new tricks ; ) haha

I'll certainly let you guys know what I find out through the experience! Thanks again for sharing your approaches!

J Teezy

I would think feeding them in their main tank would be the best for them. More comfortable and more familiar territory. If you take them out and put them somewhere else they are probably thinking "where the hell am I" before "lets find some crickets to eat"

Thread Information