Thread: Northern Green Frogs in my pool

charlamanda

Default Northern Green Frogs in my pool

About 3 years ago the township made me take my 18'dia x 4'deep pool down for it's location in my yard. There wasn't another spot to put in so it remains lying on the ground and filled with several inches of water with a drain hose limiting any additional rain water. Shortly after, I began hearing noises in the yard and more specifically the pool. The Gray Tree frogs congregate, chorus and breed in it, which has left me with thousands of froglets, and there are several other aquatic frogs that have taken permanent residence. I have about 8 Green frogs and an occasional Pickeral and Wood frog.
    Currently I have a 5-6" male that has 1 eye I've named Jack, like the one eyed jack playing card. For the past 2 months he has been calling, but every week or so he'll do his "Boing".."Wha, wha, wha" every 5-10 minutes for several days at a time. Within a day or two during his calling phase the pool fills up with more frogs of all sizes, which all seem to be female. One of those females is Fiona, who had been in the pool for the past 2 years and even stayed through the winter,but had not been seen for the last 2 months, she is enormus, about 8"+, but left again during the rains last week.
    Yesterday Jack started calling again.
    *Does this mean he is still looking for a mate?
    *How many females will he mate with?
    *If a females does find his one eyed look "hot" will she lay eggs in the pool?
    I've cared for enough Gray Tree tads and froglets this summer to last me a life time, but if it's going to happen all over again with the Green frogs I'd like to be ready for it.
    Many of the Greens presently in the pool/pond are fairly small between 1 1/2- 3" so I don't know if they are mature yet..I really hope they aren't.
    Here are a few pics. Pic#1-Jack 5-6"male, #2-4"female, #3-2 1/2"female, #4-Fiona 8+" female, #5-Pickle/Dill 2"female, #6-Shrek 7"male
    Attached Images Attached Images       

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

charlamanda

Default Re: Northern Green Frogs in my pool

To late. There are tads in the pool. Jacks been a busy frog, bad frog!!!

Thread Information