Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crickets or Worms?

gtr319

Default Crickets or Worms?

Guys, I'm torn between whether I should feed my pacman plain crickets or plain worms? I am leaning towards worms on this because:

1) easier to store, I do not need to purchase another box to house them
    2) cheaper, since I only purchase 10 crickets at a time, and it costs about 10 cents / cricket, worms would be cheaper if I order online
    3) easier for the viewing the frog eat, worms don't move as quick and gives me time to look at the feeding process.

What do you guys think?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Crickets or Worms?

Hmm both are suitable food items. But in my honest opinion and in my experience Iam more leniant towards worms. I mean some animals just dont care for worms. But if they take them Id rather feed them worms than crickets. But here are the plus about both items and down sides:

Crickets:
    1)Easy to find in stores
    2)Provides alot of stimulation and some animals actually prefer the movement of a cricket as opposed to a worms.
    3)Can be dusted and they will stil have free movement. Means supplementing the frog extra calcium and vitamins is a breeze. 4)The down sides are it wreaks(imho), they can escape if you buy them in large numbers and being a problem in the house by being alive for a week or two with the constant annoying chirping. Itll also leave poop which is unsanitary if you have a carpet which is hard to get off if you cant even find it. Also you could find a couple of them dead around the house and your family will most likely be annoyed at that(mine are). Theres also the fact you have to go out to buy them constantly because they -MAY- die within the week. Also they could inflict harm to the frog if left on the enclosure without being watched. Which makes it a hassle since you have to constantly make sure they arent being bit and then after some point you have to catch them and put them in their bin.

Worms:
    1)Easy to find(store, or backyard---if you dont use pesticides or chems)
    2)Easy to keep alive and maintain even breed.
    3)You dont need to constantly buy them since they can last a quite long time(ived had some live up to 1month or so in the container(may have been longer). I found it when I was doing a monthly whole tank clean up inside the tank STILL alive.
    4)If they escape in the tank its no biggie. Its not going to bite the frog and they actually clean the soil.
    5)They provide alot of protein just like crickets do.
    6)They are extremely cheap if bought in bulk. :P
    7)The down sides are when you keep them in the their containers it should be a 10gallon bin or aquarium so you dont crowd them. Also they need to be fed according by worm. See a red wriggler will eat compost. As for a large garden worm just eats the nutrients in the dirt. That may be feces of other animals or whatever. I could be wrong on that one though but thats what my friend tells me because he keeps his own batch of worms ready.
    Also. If you dust worms they wont make much movement as opposed to a cricket.

When it comes down to it its really preferance of the owner.

4. This member thanks Deku for this post:

gtr319

since its cheaper to go with worms, i'll go with worms... any web site that you would suggest me to get them?

Quote Originally Posted by gtr319 View Post
    since its cheaper to go with worms, i'll go with worms... any web site that you would suggest me to get them?
    I dont buy from websites. iam sure some people can show you some though. I actually just buy them off bait stores or walmart. Walmart sells a cup of 25 worms for like 2.50 or somewhere around that. There are other worms you can try. I know goliath and pheonix worms are rich in calcium. The goliath ones having a higher calcium content. Earthworms have a similar protein content to the crickets and are low in fat as are crickets. Theres other worms like wax worms which are supposed to be high in fat and meal worms/super worms/megaworms which have chitin so I personally dont recommend them. good luck

Eel Noob

Why not use both as well as other food items?

There's alot of worms you can go with. Wax worms, meal worms, phoenix worms, earthworm, silkworms, etc.

You can also feed fishes, roaches, locust, fish food pellets, just to name a few other food items.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

So could you go to your backgarden and grab an earthworm and it could be suitable for your frog to eat? I have been thinking about getting worms instead of crickets for my frog but id want a tester (if you get what i mean) to see if he would be interested.

John911

Albino, depends if you think it is free of pesticydes and fertilizer.

Quote Originally Posted by Eel Noob View Post
    Why not use both as well as other food items?

There's alot of worms you can go with. Wax worms, meal worms, phoenix worms, earthworm, silkworms, etc.

You can also feed fishes, roaches, locust, fish food pellets, just to name a few other food items.
    Fish can transmit parasites. Especially feeder fish.
    Feeder fish:
    Goldfish<---Terrible(they are high in fat and low on protein)
    Minnows(not that bad a feeder)
    Guppies(same as above)
    Platies(same)

But all of these ussually contain parasites. Most of them die within the day. I used to work in a petstore and Id see 20feeders die a day. Even if kept in optimal conditions.

braaandooon

i like deku's lists, i also perfer worms, and i've been able to keep worms in refrigeration for well over 4 months, earthworms i just change the soil and re dampen every few months, with red wigglers i actually use eco earth and peat mix that i discard during cleaning, one thing with earthworms is they dont really perfer warm weather, and if a few of those burrow and get away they die within usually a week, and dont want that in your enclosure, unless you have an array of rooted plants, which by the way i dont recommend with pacs, as my 4 month rooted experiment has failed and as of this week shelved, pacs just trample and kill plants when going after prey during night hours, this may actually work with with older frogs settled into maturity,but for the most part potted plants may work, just feel staring at those pots in your tank take away from the natural effect you are trying to acheive though, and to me a bit tacky, but i guess im picky as i do landscaping full time, red wigglers will actually thrive in your encosure as they like the warmer temps, me personally dont like crickets at all, they stink, they are annoying, they die often, and also deficate all over your enclosure if lasting anymore then 24 hours in an enclosure, even if you keep bulk at home its like having a whole list of other responsibilities, and for me there is nothing really rewarding in crickets for me to enjoy those extra responsibilities, my older pacman is pretty much cricket free, but he also takes dusted earthworms from my hand, ive heard some frogs dont like dusted foods, and in that case crickets may be necessary, as you can dust the crickets food and gut load them, you could probaly go with out dusting with worms if feeding your frog a varied diet, like live prey items with significant skeletal structures, fish, frogs, lizards, mice, etc as your frog will get its calcium and extra vitamins from those sources, i find that diet more favorable in my older frog, as he kinda has grown into that diet, that diet for me didnt work so well with this frog when he was younger as i constantly kept him stuffed with crickets, and he wouldnt take alot of other prey items until he hadnt eaten in 4 to 5 days, im kinda back to this step now after aquiring a young fantasy frog, hes chowing down on crickets, and only has one left, ill probaly offer it a worm here in two days before i buckle and go get more crickets

12. This member thanks braaandooon for this post:

As an add to brandons post:
    If you feed a varied diet you dont have to dust the insects as much. Maybe just the vitamin powder everyonce in a while.

-Meal/super/mega worms: Are a pain to keep because they bite the animal. Also they're like gum they get stuck inside them.

-Wax worms: My favorite worm since it attracts the animals attention but by a fellow member I was told they are fatty foods. So wax worms should be fed occassionally.
    -Earthworms: Have similar nutritional value to a crickets(protein wise) and are less messy.
    -Goliath worms: Contains 20-30% Calcium(I looked up this sheet). I found this info on this site I was recommended for feeder insects. It should be in one of the older posts of my feeding questions.
    -Pheonix worms: 10-20% calcium.
    Slugs are also good for calcium and other nutritional values but hard to find for sale.
    -Dubia roaches also have alot of protein in them. But someone posted that they bite so id be somewhat wary about that.

If you mix the diet a little you can stop using calcium powder since the calcium is being acquired through the worms. Vitamin powder may be necessary though. As for vitamin measurements vary so Id wait on other peoples response on vitamin powder reguards.

As for the plants. Yes they will get trampled if not potted. But if you decide to go with potted plants make sure its burried half way and you cut the bottom part of the pot off so the roots dont get trapped in the pot and die. Dont cut too much of it off though. Just half an inch deep and cut the bottom that has those drainage holes. Use sturdy plants. Snake plants are supposed to be sturdy. If you want it to look nice. You can cover the outer pot with rocks and fake moss. Just so you dont see the pot itself. A few plants should eat up some of the feces made by the frog too. :P

14. This member thanks Deku for this post:

braaandooon

usually you are just doomed with staring at the pot, i tried using beaked moss, substrate,etc to cover up the eye sore, and the frog used all items to climb into the plant as the crickets tend to like to hide in the plants, i had no such problems with the potted potted plants set into the enclosure, just couldnt get past seeing those pots

Quote Originally Posted by braaandooon View Post
    usually you are just doomed with staring at the pot, i tried using beaked moss, substrate,etc to cover up the eye sore, and the frog used all items to climb into the plant as the crickets tend to like to hide in the plants, i had no such problems with the potted potted plants set into the enclosure, just couldnt get past seeing those pots
    Fake plants? Try fake ivy plants. They should cover up the eye sore. :P I dont care much for pots though. Like if they're there then its fine with me.

Eel Noob

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    Fish can transmit parasites. Especially feeder fish.
    Feeder fish:
    Goldfish<---Terrible(they are high in fat and low on protein)
    Minnows(not that bad a feeder)
    Guppies(same as above)
    Platies(same)

But all of these ussually contain parasites. Most of them die within the day. I used to work in a petstore and Id see 20feeders die a day. Even if kept in optimal conditions.
    You can get a wrong batch of any type of feeders and they can make your pet sick. All living creatures have the potential to carry parasites/sickness just not fishes. If you're that worried you can just either breed your own or just quarantine for a few weeks.

Petstore you used to work at is probably one of those that I always refuse to support because they always have dead animals lol.

gtr319

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    I dont buy from websites. iam sure some people can show you some though. I actually just buy them off bait stores or walmart. Walmart sells a cup of 25 worms for like 2.50 or somewhere around that. There are other worms you can try. I know goliath and pheonix worms are rich in calcium. The goliath ones having a higher calcium content. Earthworms have a similar protein content to the crickets and are low in fat as are crickets. Theres other worms like wax worms which are supposed to be high in fat and meal worms/super worms/megaworms which have chitin so I personally dont recommend them. good luck
    I checked walmart last night and all they have are night crawlers and earthworms... I don't see any phoenix worms or the Goliath worms... u said I can find them @ the bait store correct?

braaandooon

I checked walmart last night and all they have are night crawlers and earthworms... I don't see any phoenix worms or the Goliath worms... u said I can find them @ the bait store correct?
    you probaly wont find anything outside of red wigglers, meal worms, and nightcrawlers at walmart, goliath worms are usually ordered through an online retailer, or some bait shops may be able to get them, goliath worms really arent worth purchasing unless you have an adult frog, unless the goliath worms are already stocked and you are able to see what you are buying, my baitshop ordered me a few hoping id be able to get my suriname to feed, but the worms arrived pretty large, and after the suriname refused it, they were useless, as they were to big for my other pac to consume, the shelf life is short(3 weeks from baby to metamorphic state) on these worms also as they grow extremely fast and then change over into a moth, you can lengthen the shelf life of these worms with temps in the 50's but refrigeration will kill them, both of my goliath worms have already burrowed and started metamorphosis, when they hatch into moths i plan on feeding to my frogs if they will accept them, otherwise i'll just release them, these worms were just purchased less than a week ago also, not familiar with phoenix worms though as i have never seen them

walmart doesnt sell em. Try local bait shops. I know one near me that carries em now. What you want to look for are large green worms that look like caterpillars. They're also called hornworms? I think tobacco worms too?In any case just order a large batch of them online and with luck they should arrive quickly. :P

gtr319

@ braaandooon: assuming Pacatron takes 3 a night, then 25 would last 8 days.... I guess metamorphosis wouldn't be THAT big of a problem as long as Pacatron eats every night... I guess I will stick with Phoenix worms since they aren't that big in size

@ Deku: I tried to search on yelp to look for bait shop but no luck, but I would definitely try to contact the store where I got Pacatron from to see if they carry it since they are a reptile shop after all... worse come to worse, I just order online...

AND... Pacatron finally chow down a red wiggler today!! But he still wouldn't eat until he takes a mealworm first... is there any way to correct this habit?

@ braaandooon: assuming Pacatron takes 3 a night, then 25 would last 8 days.... I guess metamorphosis wouldn't be THAT big of a problem as long as Pacatron eats every night... I guess I will stick with Phoenix worms since they aren't that big in size

@ Deku: I tried to search on yelp to look for bait shop but no luck, but I would definitely try to contact the store where I got Pacatron from to see if they carry it since they are a reptile shop after all... worse come to worse, I just order online...

AND... Pacatron finally chow down a red wiggler today!! But he still wouldn't eat until he takes a mealworm first... is there any way to correct this habit?
    If they morph just feed the morphed insect to them. It doesnt really matter. Try talking to local fishermen about bait shops.

braaandooon

well assuming pacatron is a smaller frog, i dont think he is gonna gobble down three of these worms a night, even the babies are quite big, and youd be suprised how big these worms could grow in a matter of 8 days, a week old horned worm would probaly be good to stuff your frog for a day, and within two weeks of buying these worms even if very young, the worms will be to big to feed a young pacman, i guess which is why i recommend these for adult frogs, unless you see the worms in person,and know what size you are aquiring, they are also quite pricey at almost a dollar a worm, heres a few online retailers that carry them

MULBERRY FARMS - SILKWORMS AND OTHER PREMIUM FEEDER INSECTS
    YOUR BUGGIE HEADQUARTERS

gtr319

Quote Originally Posted by braaandooon View Post
    well assuming pacatron is a smaller frog, i dont think he is gonna gobble down three of these worms a night, even the babies are quite big, and youd be suprised how big these worms could grow in a matter of 8 days, a week old horned worm would probaly be good to stuff your frog for a day, and within two weeks of buying these worms even if very young, the worms will be to big to feed a young pacman, i guess which is why i recommend these for adult frogs, unless you see the worms in person,and know what size you are aquiring, they are also quite pricey at almost a dollar a worm, heres a few online retailers that carry them

MULBERRY FARMS - SILKWORMS AND OTHER PREMIUM FEEDER INSECTS
    YOUR BUGGIE HEADQUARTERS
    After looking @ the options, I think I'm better off with the earthworms for now.... BTW, I only seen Pacatron's poop once and saw him pee once... unless I'm missing it from the spot clean, but I don't see the poop... am I really missing it or Pacatron didn't poop? Given that he didn't use the water I provided, what should I do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information