Thread: Can u mix Gray Trees and spring peeper froglets?

charlamanda

Default Can u mix Gray Trees and spring peeper froglets?

I had thousands of Gray Tree Tadpoles in my pool, which have now left and have taken over my yard. I took in 8 froglets and now I believe 1 to be a spring peeper. When I catured it, it was raining and the froglet was wet, but was about the same size and closely resembled the Gray tree froglets. After the froglet dried and was sitting still in the tank I noticed it wasn't a variation of green or gray, but tan/brown, and had slightly different features than the others. It's body is more narrow and not as chubby as the grays and it's head is slightly longer and more narrow. It also lacks the white under the eyes. There are peepers in this area and I have seen them, as adults, on my front door, but have never seen them as youngsters. Will this be a problem if I keep them in the same enclosure? So far there doesn't seem to be any problems, nor any frog on frog aggressiveness. They have ample space and adequate foliage to hide and relax within the tank. During feeding time, in the container I've dubbed the "dining room", there is plenty of food, everyone is eating and there to are no fights or dominating, I can see, and I watch them the entire time they are in the container. I can't find the questionable froglet for a pic, but I am pretty sure thats what it is.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Can u mix Gray Trees and spring peeper froglets?

The general advice is to avoid mixing species due to possible poisoning of one species from the others secretions. Even if they live in the same area in the wild, the confined quarters of a vivarium are another story. Both these guys are pretty tame toxin wise from what I understand, so I don't know for sure if this is an issue. Not knowing for sure would keep me from mixing them.

However, I'd be worried about one of the greys eating the peeper. Greys get significantly larger, and will eat just about anything that moves (one of mine just lunged at my moving thumb with the business end of it's tongue, they do associate me with food though). I'm not positive an adult grey could down an adult peeper, but if the grey grows faster... either way I wouldn't want to see it try and would feel pretty darn lousy if it did.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi there, Im with UncleChester, Don't mix frog species.

charlamanda

Thanks and good point. I do recall that the peepers are somewhat smaller as adults than the gray tree frogs. Right now the peeper is only slightly smaller (maybe by a millimeter) than the largest of the tree froglets and either larger or the same size compared to the other 6 froglets. I've had it in the tank for the last 1-2 weeks now and it seems to be thriving as well as the others. I now have to consider letting it go back to the yard before it gets to use to it's very cushy life, but am still torn : (.

Paul Rust

Ditto, no mixy species.

Quote Originally Posted by charlamanda View Post
    I now have to consider letting it go back to the yard before it gets to use to it's very cushy life, but am still torn : (.
    You can always set up a separate tank for the peeper.

Keep in mind that if it's a male, well, I'm fairly convinced that pound for pound a peeping peeper is the loudest critter on the planet. This is the number one reason I don't already have one of these adorable little critters, they hurt my ears outdoors, I'm afraid to be locked up with one. Be sure you can live with this possibility before committing to keeping it.

charlamanda

Oh Yeah..they are loud, but I think the Gray's are much louder or maybe it's because they congregate in my yard in the pool! I've been feeding the group every other day, I tried every day, but they wouldn't eat as much or any. Now with this plan they eat as soon as I drop them in their "dining room" container and eat 2 crickets each. PIGS! Anyway, yesterday I fed them and today they are all hidden with belly aches and pepto cocktails, so I can not locate Mr. Peeper. I will definitely let him go after his "last meal" and wish him well. I only have 1 more tank with adequate space for these guys, which I will need when they they get a bit larger, since I still will have 7, as long as the 2 emaciated ones don't become permanent residents. Thanks all!

charlamanda

We'll I bid Mr. Peeper a farewell last night :.( I fed him with the rest of the group, but I am not entirely convinced he ate. As I try to locate all 8 and drop them into the "dining room" container they immediately grab their prey and I don't nescessarily see them all eat, but many of the crickets are gone before I collect them all and watch them. Mr'Peeper was perched at the top by the time I sat to watch them. After I was convinced they had all stuffed as much food in their gullets as they could manage I placed him above the front door where he sat until I went to bed around 1am. This am I see he has either moved from the front door or just moved from my line of sight from the inside. It's going to be a shock for him since he was settling into his coushy life and dinner was served routinely and regularly with minimal effort. Good luck Mr.Peeper, you'll need it. OH BTW...when I brought Mr. Peeper to the front door I nearly stepped on a Gray Tree froglet. Since I am down 1 he is my new replacement kitty ; ) Since I only feed them every other day, I thought it would be a good idea to fill him up before dropping him into the tank. I put 5 crickets of varying sizes in the "dining room" and for a long time just sat at the top. I walked away for about 10 minutes and when I came back the 3 largest crickets were gone and 1 hanging out of it's mouth. He is now in the tank and I think he said how happy he was to have eaten, finally, and have a nice warm, humid home full of wonderful plants and friends. Iam sure I heard it!!

Thread Information