Thread: Pacman wont stay out of water

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Pacman wont stay out of water

Cupcake is about threeyears old and has always acted normally. About a month ago, she started burrowing for weeks at a time. I cleaned her cage and her substrate (cocoearth) which is kept moist. She is in a 10 gallon tank kept at 78. After i dug her up to check on her, she began soaking nonstop for a week now. When i tried to handfeed her a 3 wk cricket, which she used to love, she made a grumpy noise to me. I change her water fur times her day (bottled Arrowhead). Our other pacman in another tank eats and poops constantly, same conditions. Cupcake has a uv day lamp and night warming lamp. Have tried various temperatures thinking maybe she was too cold or too hot. Have reduced the number of crickets in the tank thinking maybe the crickets bother her (the crickets have cricket food). But all shewants to do is stay in her water dish. Any suggestions?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Pacman wont stay out of water

Tried a warm honey path. She seemed to enjoy it. But when it was done, she hopped right back into her regular water. .??

100+ Post Member Animallover3541's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Honey baths are really only needed for minor prolapses and I generally wouldn't recommend it for other things. It sounds like your humidity is too low, so she is constantly seeking humidity from her water dish. Do you happen to have a hygrometer to measure humidity? If not there are several on amazon. They are necessary to ensure proper conditions. If she is in a screen top tank I would cover most of it with plastic wrap or aluminum foil also to reduce moisture loss into the air. The UV lamp is fine but depending on the type of heat bulb you use, it may be dropping humidity also. Can you provide an image or an amazon like for the lighting you have?

I apologize for not responding sooner. This forum used to be very active but nowadays theres a lot of spam or just dead silence. I will keep a close eye on this thread for your response.
    "If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."
    - James Herriot
    The first step towards fixing your flaws is recognizing that they exist.
    FFA & Livestock Judging
    1.0.0 Ball Python (Redstripe)
    1.1.0 D. versicolor
    0.0.1 Red Eared Slider
    1.0.0 A. fowleri (R.I.P 1/13/21, I miss you Herbie)

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Olivia, thank you. I think you are right, that Cupcake needs more humidity. She finally went underground and wouldnt come out. I dug her up a couple of times and fed her a waxworm. Our other pacman, Mr Frog, in a smaller cage, eats and poops constantly; ijust mist him twice per day. Cuppy obviously wants more humidity so i will increase her misting a lot. Will get a hygrometer and will cover her cage with a towel. Mr Frog is an ornate and Cuppy is yellow and brown.

100+ Post Member Animallover3541's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
    Olivia, thank you. I think you are right, that Cupcake needs more humidity. She finally went underground and wouldnt come out. I dug her up a couple of times and fed her a waxworm. Our other pacman, Mr Frog, in a smaller cage, eats and poops constantly; ijust mist him twice per day. Cuppy obviously wants more humidity so i will increase her misting a lot. Will get a hygrometer and will cover her cage with a towel. Mr Frog is an ornate and Cuppy is yellow and brown.
    I'm glad to hear you have a plan! Also, I'd like to retract my statement about honey/sugar water for prolapses. It can work, but it's dangerous because you will have wasted valuable time if it doesn't work. Just wanted to put that out there.

P.S. I love the name Cupcake! It's so cute
    "If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."
    - James Herriot
    The first step towards fixing your flaws is recognizing that they exist.
    FFA & Livestock Judging
    1.0.0 Ball Python (Redstripe)
    1.1.0 D. versicolor
    0.0.1 Red Eared Slider
    1.0.0 A. fowleri (R.I.P 1/13/21, I miss you Herbie)

Nationality
    [United States]

Humidity is a possibility as was stated above, but sometimes especially if they've been remaining burrowed for long periods of time, they will choose to soak for extended periods sort of a way of cleaning out their system.

Refusing food can also be related to lower than normal humidity. If you are using lights as a heat source they will burn off ambient air humidity. It has to be countered with more frequent misting.

As for getting upset about you trying to feed her, well that is her telling you to leave her alone. She is likely a bit annoyed with all the attention she's been getting. You can just let her be and adjust her humidity though this time of year they do tend to slow down and not eat as much because they can still sense the changes outside even though their tank climate is maintained.

Raise the humidity and keep it up for a few days then offer her a more enticing food item like an appropriately sized frozen thawed feeder mouse and see if that interests her.

Best of luck.

Thread Information