I am in Southern California where it has been HOT! As you can imagine, I've been living in my central air conditioning pretty much nonstop. On occasion, I open the windows at night to let some fresh air in, and go back to AC when I wake up. Unfortunately, I overslept this morning. It was already stifling when I woke up by noon and switched to air conditioning. Thankfully, the frogs are mostly okay... except for a red eyed tree frog male. He is not moving but remains responsive. I've been trying to leave him alone, thinking he's either dying or recuperating, and either way, the stress of poking at him repeatedly would stress him and could exacerbate things. He seems to have collapsed on a piece of décor (a little bridge that is meant for aquariums). I've just lifted him out for the third time, today, thinking (again) that he must be dead since he hasn't moved, yet. He opens his eyes each time, but there is no bodily movement. I've just noticed that his left eye is cloudy. If it were a mammal, I might think it was a stroke and he had some brain damage and paralysis, but I don't know how that would translate to an amphibian species.

I do have access to an exotic vet (whom I've seen for my bearded dragon), but she books weeks out and I don't think he has that long from the look of things. The office has a 24/7 ER, but that is staffed by cat/dog vets, really. (I've used an emergency vet for an exotic twice, and both times, the cat & dog vet who was available misdiagnosed the animal I brought in, so I'm skeptical, there. I'll spare you the long, boring, sad, and expensive stories.)

Obviously, temps are back to normal by now, since it's been 14 hours since I woke up. So: (1) Is there anything more that I can do for now that might increase the likelihood of recovery?; (2) Does anyone have experience with something like this who might explain what is going on with this poor little frog? I get that it is heat stroke or heat related... I am someone who is more comfortable with situations if I can understand them. Answers to question #2 might not help the frog, but it might help me cope with this. I feel horrible for the little guy, and I feel even worse for hitting the snooze button.