Thread: Red Eyed Tree Frog & Heat Stroke

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Red Eyed Tree Frog & Heat Stroke

I am in Southern California where it has been HOT! As you can imagine, I've been living in my central air conditioning pretty much nonstop. On occasion, I open the windows at night to let some fresh air in, and go back to AC when I wake up. Unfortunately, I overslept this morning. It was already stifling when I woke up by noon and switched to air conditioning. Thankfully, the frogs are mostly okay... except for a red eyed tree frog male. He is not moving but remains responsive. I've been trying to leave him alone, thinking he's either dying or recuperating, and either way, the stress of poking at him repeatedly would stress him and could exacerbate things. He seems to have collapsed on a piece of décor (a little bridge that is meant for aquariums). I've just lifted him out for the third time, today, thinking (again) that he must be dead since he hasn't moved, yet. He opens his eyes each time, but there is no bodily movement. I've just noticed that his left eye is cloudy. If it were a mammal, I might think it was a stroke and he had some brain damage and paralysis, but I don't know how that would translate to an amphibian species.

I do have access to an exotic vet (whom I've seen for my bearded dragon), but she books weeks out and I don't think he has that long from the look of things. The office has a 24/7 ER, but that is staffed by cat/dog vets, really. (I've used an emergency vet for an exotic twice, and both times, the cat & dog vet who was available misdiagnosed the animal I brought in, so I'm skeptical, there. I'll spare you the long, boring, sad, and expensive stories.)

Obviously, temps are back to normal by now, since it's been 14 hours since I woke up. So: (1) Is there anything more that I can do for now that might increase the likelihood of recovery?; (2) Does anyone have experience with something like this who might explain what is going on with this poor little frog? I get that it is heat stroke or heat related... I am someone who is more comfortable with situations if I can understand them. Answers to question #2 might not help the frog, but it might help me cope with this. I feel horrible for the little guy, and I feel even worse for hitting the snooze button.
    Ton of critters. You can see them all here: Login • Instagram

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Red Eyed Tree Frog & Heat Stroke

Update: He is upright! He is on the same piece of décor that he'd flopped onto yesterday, but now he is upright and moving a bit. His right pupil still looks cloudy (it almost looks like a cataract), so I think there's definitely some damage (neurological? stroke?) but he is able to hold himself upright, which is a very hopeful sign. Tomorrow, I may try to tong-feed him, just in case he needs a little help on that front. (He was immobile/unconscious/sleeping through last night's feeding, and if he's unwell, he may need some assistance for the short/long term.)

I would still appreciate any advice on nursing him to health or explanation of what's going on (medically) per the questions in the OP above, if anyone has insight to share.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Red Eyed Tree Frog & Heat Stroke

Well, this is most unexpected! He has full mobility in all four limbs, and the ability to jump, with at least enough vision accuracy to measure jumps and land on intended targets. His right pupil still looks cloudy and dilated, but I startled him while trying to tong feed, and he showed me what all he can do, now that he has rested up a bit. I really started this thread thinking he was likely to die, but every 12 hours, I get just a little more optimistic. Rather than stress him any further by trying to shove food in his face (none of my frogs are accustomed to being tong fed), I threw in a couple of extra crickets, and I will monitor the situation.

I am still happy for any insight that anyone has to share to help me understand what, physiologically or medically, he is going through.

Thread Information