Thread: Help With Female American Toad

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Help With Female American Toad

Her name is Q*Bertha. This past February her husband Q*Bert passed away and she's been in a state of depression. Previous to this she developed a small lump along her upper right lip. Well the lump appears to be a bit larger lately, I think after she melted (her skin was her pretty tan color once more) And now she's been sluggish and keeping her eyes closed. Or acting aggressively towards us with headbutts. I can't tell if she's acting out from loneliness or if the lump is bothering her. If anyone needs I can try to send a pic of her face. But the lump is still skin colored so it may not come through well out of person. Any help would be extremely appreciated. She's very precious to us.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Help With Female American Toad

Toads do not become lonely or depressed. The lethargic behavior suggests a health or husbandry issue- possibly the same issue that caused the other toads death.
    I don’t understand what you mean when you say that the toad melted.
    The lump could be a cyst, or something else. It sounds like a visit to a qualified herp vet is in order, along with a review of proper husbandry for this species.

Nationality
    [United States]

My apologies my phone auto corrected molted and I was typing so fast I didn't notice. She shed her skin and that's when the lump first appeared. And no. I should have mentioned the male toad had a problem with a bone deficiency of some kind. I tried to help him as best as I could but after his 5th year with us it took him and was very painful to see. He had no other conditions prior to his death and it was very sudden. He was even energetic up until the night he passed. Whereas with her she shed her skin, then had that bump on her upper lip. It hasnt really grown or changed all that much until the last two days and kts been there for months. She also is usually energetic and quirky regardless of it. But the last few days it's been larger and that was after she once again shed. I gave her a bath in very fresh and clean water last night and the swelling went down and she seems to be more energized today. But I wash her bowl frequently. I might get her a new bowl in a couple days to make sure her water is clean when I change it next. Unfortunately as far as vets go I live in the country and the nearest vet that does toads is extremely far away. I dont want her to be stressed out in a car ride. She only was in a car once. She's otherwise been an extremely healthy and lively toad.

Nationality
    [United States]

Update

Yesterday she lost a lot of color, she was extremely pale. And she was thinner than she was on Tuesday, despite having ate just fine that day. I'm going to see if she will eat again today as she eats every other day. As for the lump on her face. The overall swelling has gone down, however, in the place where the main lump is, is now a red pimple-like small blister. She was lethargic earlier and almost limp. However it seems to be that her body is trying to fight off the ailment. We kept the room at a somewhat warmer temp for her. And halfway through the night I carefully poured a small amount of fresh water on her as she had not visited her bowl all day and I was unsure if she was thirsty. This seemed to perk her up quite a bit. She's been more active through the night (my boyfriend and I had taken turns staying up with her to keep an eye out.) She seems to be recovering a bit as some of her color has returned and she is being a bit more quirky. However I'm calling off of work to continue to observe her.

Thread Information