Thread: How much should I feed my new frog?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default How much should I feed my new frog?

I just got a baby Pixie frog on Saturday and...like....when I say baby I mean BABY! He is about the size of a quarter and weighs 2.5 grams and is so stinking cute! I am having a hard time finding information on how much to feed a baby that tiny though and kind of having a hard time finding information on care for a baby that tiny in general too. He is eating mealworms (maimed mealworms), but doesn`t seem interested in dubia roaches which is my preferred feeder for my beardie and tarantulas. I have been feeding him in the morning and at night, usually one or two feeder items. I HATE crickets with a passion and so would rather avoid them. I did try to find some black soldier fly larva but no stores in my area have any so I will be ordering them online as I feel those would be perfect.

Please be gentle. I did my research before getting him, but most of the juvenile pixie frogs I am seeing care information on seem much bigger and I am not seeing much for how much to feed them aside from they eat everything. He does seem to be thriving though. Very active little guy and has lots of attitude!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: How much should I feed my new frog?

Quote Originally Posted by MelancholyNewt View Post
    I just got a baby Pixie frog on Saturday and...like....when I say baby I mean BABY! He is about the size of a quarter and weighs 2.5 grams and is so stinking cute! I am having a hard time finding information on how much to feed a baby that tiny though and kind of having a hard time finding information on care for a baby that tiny in general too. He is eating mealworms (maimed mealworms), but doesn`t seem interested in dubia roaches which is my preferred feeder for my beardie and tarantulas. I have been feeding him in the morning and at night, usually one or two feeder items. I HATE crickets with a passion and so would rather avoid them. I did try to find some black soldier fly larva but no stores in my area have any so I will be ordering them online as I feel those would be perfect.

Please be gentle. I did my research before getting him, but most of the juvenile pixie frogs I am seeing care information on seem much bigger and I am not seeing much for how much to feed them aside from they eat everything. He does seem to be thriving though. Very active little guy and has lots of attitude!
    Feed him as much as he can eat in 15 minutes. You should feed daily to every other day until he reaches around 4 inches then stick with every other day to every three days when until he is around 6+ inches then once or twice a week depending on the food you offer.

They need a varied diet and since you despise crickets you can use Dubia roaches, better right? Lol! Anyway their very small nymphs will be great for the frog and then you can adjust based on his size. You may want to start your own roach colony to ensure you can get the size you need at all times.

Nightcrawlers(dew worms) are an excellent choice as a main food, but you will need to cut them to appropriate size for him so they are not too large.

When getting an animal such as this as a pet you MUST provide what it needs even if it forces you to use a feeder insect you despise. It's about what is best for the animal now.

Thread Information