Thread: Gisborne Cockroach (Drymaplaneta semivitta) as alternative to dubia roaches?

Question Gisborne Cockroach (Drymaplaneta semivitta) as alternative to dubia roaches?

Hello, I live in New Zealand where I can't get ahold of dubia roaches as a feeder insect for my green and gold bell frogs and wanted to look at alternate roaches to breed as feeders (I'll be breeding a few generations in captivity first.) Gisborne cockroaches seem to be the most readily available in my local area and I set up a breeding box for them, but I'm worried by this line about the species on Wikipedia:

"Hex-2-enal is present in the defensive secretions of D.semivitta. This chemical also occurs in some other species of Drymaplaneta."

I don't know if this presents a danger to the frogs and my research seems inconclusive. Does anyone here know anything? Ie, do any other common feeder insects produce this, is it known to harm frogs/any other insectivorous herps? Do insects produce it or do they get it from their diet? The cockroaches share a natural range with the frogs in Australia, which is why I'm hopeful. Thank you, any info is greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thread Information