Thread: Toad with torn cornea?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Toad with torn cornea?

hey, I’ve had a Colorado River toad for about 2 years now. And when I had gotten her in the mail, she had two different colored eyes, it looks like a torn cornea, where one eye is much blacker, the pupil is much bigger and off shape in that eye. And I think that eye is a tad bit bigger than the other. When she blinks occasionally there’s bubbles on the corners of her eye.

at the time it looked pretty bad, and she had trouble seeing, she was incredibly thin for a big toad, I had to force feed her for about her for about a month before she started eating on her own, where I would put superworms infront of her good eye and she would eat them, anything fast I have to hand feed. usually gut loaded crickets, occasional earthworms, dubias. But I think superworms are her favorite.

I thought that maybe she was wild caught, even though it’s illegal to transport WC over state lines, unless that changed.
    I’m not positive what the the issue is/was. At the time I was advised to use pimafix + melafix in her water, and I did. And I believe she liked it, when I stoped putting in in her water she stopped sitting in her water bowl. She will get in her water only to poop now.

she’s been otherwise in amazing health and eats like a pig, but she is hand fed, unless it’s super worms, she eats those from a dish. She’s gained what I think to be a healthy weight, if not getting a little chunky. I hand feed her maybe 2~ dusted crickets a day, when she begs at the glass. Though I occasionally miss feedings, if she’s not begging. I included pic, sorry for the weird quality and size.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Toad with torn cornea?

How is your toad doing?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

awwww she’s adorable! i’ve had plenty of toads in the wild with eyes like that. it doesn’t seem to harm them though it does impair their vision to varying degrees. as long as it doesn’t get any worse she’ll probably be fine! does she have a name?

Nationality
    [United States]

Her name is Belladonna, partially after the toxic plant, and partially because it’s classy. It definitely hasn’t gotten any worse since I’ve had her, it looks less irritated now vs when I first got her.

Nationality
    [United States]

She’s doing well! I discovered she will eat frozen thawed crickets and other feeders from a bowl.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

awesome!

Thread Information