Thread: Terrarium temp

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Terrarium temp

I have a Woodhouse's toad and about 4 weeks ago a cold front moved through the area and he has been sluggish ever since. He hasn't eaten since. He doesn't look like he's lost weight and he frequently sleeps. He otherwise looks healthy. I have a heating bulb and i just turned it on. I am monitoring the temperature at the ground level and it is around 81 Fahrenheit. Ambient room temps range from 70 at night to 75 during the day. My question is how warm is too warm for my toad? I'm not opposed to him hibernating but in past years he would do so in winter months not early fall so that is why I'm trying to stimulate his metabolism. I've never used heating bulbs so if anybody has any wisdom to bestow on me it would be very much appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Terrarium temp

I got a heat bulb that brought the temp in the terrarium under the bulb up to about 85 F. He never really woke up. He just moves from spot to spot. Well this morning he's dug himself in to a nice little hole. I think he's down for the winter. I always have to remind myself toads in the wild, especially in northern climates go MONTHS without eating. When he wakes up, he wakes up and I bet he's going to be hungry.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

80 in the day and 70 at night might be okay. The exposure to cold might have triggered his hibernation. Generally, there's no reason to hibernate most amphibians unless you want to breed them. Hibernation can be risky, I've heard.

It is kind of suspicious that the warmed up tank hasn't led to more movement. I'd be a little concerned about your toad's health. But it could be completely innocent also, maybe hibernation drives are really that strong?

Nationality
    [United States]

I appreciate your response. He did wake the other day and went after a mealworm I put in there. This is the 4th winter I've had him and he's "hibernated" each winter. It consisted of him digging down the the substrate for a few weeks. Every winter I get concerned but he always comes back. This summer as I was preparing his compacted terrarium moss I left it outside for a couple days. We've been finding beetles in the terrarium almost daily. My suspicion is he's been snacking on these beetles periodically. My only concern is with how early he has shut himself down this year. I'll just continue to use the heat lamp. In prior years he's come around in January/February.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I'm so glad this isn't anything out of the ordinary. Maybe you'll want to cool it off to the usual temperature now and warm it up again early if he went down early? He sounds like he's in good hands.

Nationality
    [United States]

Sounds like you know what your doing. I always use a heat bulb with my amphibians because it's easy to control the heat without using heat from ambient light. As for the possible early hibernation, it is perfectly normal for amphibians to start early or late. If a cool front lowered it's normal ambient temperature it would usually cause a toad to become sluggish.

Thread Information