Thread: African Clawed Frog in Warm ish Water?

Default African Clawed Frog in Warm ish Water?

So I have a female tropical clawed frog (xenopus tropicalis) in a 15 gallon tank. She's smaller than the typical African clawed frogs (xenopus laevis) by a few inches. She's about 2.5 inches from snout to rear, not including legs.

The tank is about as planted as it can be with a destructive frog, with quite a few anubias on a driftwood and a big floating water sprite. She has plenty of hiding spots and about half an inch of very fine sand substrate. I keep the tank at 80 degrees. I will probably be upgrading to a 20 gallon soon, depending on circumstances.

Now, the problem. I was told by the workers at my local fish store that a small group of corydoras catfish would be suitable tankmates for her. After a few months of observation, I have decided that I do not agree. She's very grabby with them during mealtimes and clearly wants to eat them, so I'm looking into rehoming them very soon.

Now, my question: would a laevis clawed frog be able to live and thrive in slightly warmer water than they are recommended to be in? I know most sources say they should be in 70-75 degrees Fahrenheit water, but I was wondering if they could live with a few degrees warmer.

I know there's a size difference between the two, but my frog seems to be the size of mature laevis males, and I know people keep male/female pairs of laevis together with no problems aside from horniness (aka why I want to get a female). I plan to be primarily hand-feeding them and sometimes live-feeding them small feeders and earthworms, so as far as I can tell that won't be a problem.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: African Clawed Frog in Warm ish Water?

Quote Originally Posted by CatalyticGenesis View Post
    Now, my question: would a laevis clawed frog be able to live and thrive in slightly warmer water than they are recommended to be in? I know most sources say they should be in 70-75 degrees Fahrenheit water, but I was wondering if they could live with a few degrees warmer.
    The fact is that X. laevis and X. tropicalis occur naturally in different climatic zones (X. tropicalis is also known as Silurana tropicalis), which is why the latter requires a higher temperature. X. laevis can withstand temperatures significantly below 70°F.

Consistently maintaining a frog at a temperature to which it is not naturally adapted might be successful in the short term but carries the risk of health problems arising eventually and, personally, I wouldn't do it. Also, the frogs behave differently and a female X. laevis will be more boisterous.

My advice is to get more tropicalis if you want companions for the one you have.

Thread Information